Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

HDD specifications and their science,…

This is a discussion on HDD specifications and their science,… within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. HDD specifications and their science,… I need to buy few more smaller size Hard drives ( for my primary OS,

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Corday
  • 1 Post By Rich-M
  • 1 Post By tristar
  • 1 Post By tristar
  • 1 Post By Stancestans
  • 1 Post By Stancestans
  • 1 Post By Stancestans
Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 08:21 AM   #1
Registered Member

HDD specifications and their science,…

I need to buy few more smaller size Hard drives ( for my primary OS, so that it carries only programs and takes less time for disk defrag and disc cleaning, scanning etc ……….and also will not tempt me to load more junks of Pics and videos on t, due to its small size ) , of smaller sizes ( 250 to 500 MB ) and still be having latest features like,..

SATA III, 6.0 gb/s, 64 MB cash, 7200 rpm,.. etc..

Are above the max, nos of best features available as of today in any magnetic HDDs ( SSDs apart )
Or any better, still available in rotating ones?

Can anyone elaborate each feature about how it helps to enhance and achieve max speed and performance,…?

So far I came to concluding on of buying following god drive, as per my requirement
( will also buy M.2 2280, SSD also soon )

Are these the best, or any other opinions or suggestions?

WDC Black drive 500 GB, WD5003AZEX
WDC Blue drive 500 GB WD5000AZRZ

Any better suggestions / comments ? ( Seagate will also be fine.. )

===================
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2018, 08:46 AM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

If your OS is still as stated, nothing matters. Please update it in your TSF profile.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 08-05-2018, 10:30 AM   #3
Registered Member

Sorry about the confusion. ( profile revised. )

In fact, I own two working system ( Win 10 Home, 1803 and Win XP SP3 ) and using both............ and trying to quit the older,.. slowly but surely,...

This Qn'A convo,. was in ref to mainly to my this ( below ) new computer ( also partially applies to old one, to ) .

Dell XPS 8930 Tower system,

Processor: Intel Core 8th Generation i7-8700
Processor (6 Core,3.20GHz,12MB Cache,65W)
Windows 10 Home 64bit English
2 TB 3.5-inch SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
16GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2666MHz (2X8GB)
Tray load DVD Drive (Reads and Writes to DVD/CD)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti with 4GB GDDR5

Thx.

-----------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2018, 11:42 AM   #4
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

You indicated in Post #1 the optimum speed available, and yes, the WD Black is the fastest on the general market for a non SSD.

EDIT: To answer the last part of your question, the larger the cache, the quicker the transfer.
rakesh15 likes this.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 08-05-2018, 01:52 PM   #5
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

So you know you must not defrag Ssd drives.
rakesh15 likes this.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 08-05-2018, 02:56 PM   #6
Registered Member

^^ Yup,... and neither the system will allow for it,........ Say, if you/me go to the file explorer, and right click on C: , D: ( DVD ) and E: ( Flash )
by right clicking,... only under C: you will see the option of desk defragment,...

For SSD,. I inquired with WDC and Seagate and also searched for Samsung,..... will also call PNY and Kingston,.. they all make good ones,... WDC also makes Black drive in that SSD type, too,...

So, target is to grab either WDC black or Samsung around 65-75 dollar for 256 GB,... of 2018 year latest Model and of max writing and reading speed available. In picture, they look hugh like sound/video card, but in reality, while looking on my mother board, it comes of the size ( M.2, 2280 ) - smaller than even your pinky finger.
Old 08-06-2018, 04:05 AM   #7
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

Check Amazon for Silicon power, they come for cheap...
rakesh15 likes this.

Old 08-06-2018, 04:43 AM   #8
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

I did not realize WDC has a "black" version but ironically the blue and the black have same 5 year warranty.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:04 AM   #9
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

Yeah Rich, they do, come with bigger caches..128/256... More for high performance workstations or servers and such...

Old 08-06-2018, 07:06 AM   #10
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Yes I noticed that also but forgot to say it though personally I have never really noticed much difference in performance as a layman from larger cache on hard drives...meaning I never actually tested it. I sort of have the same feeling about Usb 3 vs 2. I mean from 1.2 Usb to 2.0 anyone could see but 3 I am still "out to lunch" on as far as visible performance difference.

Old 08-06-2018, 09:40 AM   #11
Registered Member

https://www.amazon.com/Silicon-Power.../dp/B075NR368X

^ If this is been talked, then i think they are talking about 550mb/s R/W speed only.

WDC's one, I was told, ( their black card ) 2000 mb/s reading speed and 800 mb/s writing speed,... ( one can buy from ebay by bidding/sale even cheaper ) . Samsung also makes good ones,..

The away I was understood/been explained, WDC makes black and blue drives for years,..
previously it was coming in black ( colored whole , the metal ) but now they put a sticker only of black / blue color.

Black is meant for high end. heavy applications,..and heavy graphic users like,.... those who playing 3D dense games, graphic bar charts and Cad's 3D high end graphic applications and such,..

Blue is for normal use, surfing, web browsing, e-mails, MS office uses, watching movies, YT clips and such,... ( without too much dense graphic applications )

They both come in 64 or 32 MB Cache sizes, as needed,...
Old 08-06-2018, 09:59 AM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
The Fast Way Forward

No compromises. Nothing holding you back. The WD Black NVMe SSD features sequential read and write speeds up to 3,400/2,800 MB/s for gaming, video editing, virtual reality, and beyond.
^^ Their web site talks about this,.. ( for 1 TB, M.2 2280 SSD )

https://www.wdc.com/products/interna...ml#WDS250G2X0C
Old 08-06-2018, 10:11 AM   #13
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

Not the stick, but the 2.5" with the drive casing, I think it was $45 for a 256 Gb one..& price does matter too :)
rakesh15 likes this.

Old 08-06-2018, 12:10 PM   #14
Registered Member

M.2, 2280 NVMe - SSD card :

Just talked to Kingston and Samsung and WDC, to get a little deeper into this,…. n’… I concluded with the followings, …

1. If you have an expensive mother board and it can take M.2 , NVMe on mother board, then not go after sata ssd one,…….. or the PCI express slot one,…….. and definitely not for SSD ( looks like a drive with casing - 2.5” ) – rather buy later but good one.

2. SSD itself, will show you difference in time at booting ,…..and mainly when you are playing heavy games then it will show difference in quick actions,.. let say firing and such,….
For normal browsing/surfing it may show a little bit and hardly noticeable.

3. Prices are still very high and if you have intention of keeping only the programs… ( not data and pic/vdo junk ) than 256 / 250 gb would be adequate without going much higher or lower in sizes,…

4. Kingston, PNY, WDC, Samsung and few other makes make these ecards, and they all have varying reading and writing speeds,…. And make of year, which also have new models and advanced features, so go with latest features and good speed.

5. So far, Samsung and WDC…… I found for better speeds for smaller sizes and again , price relates to the speed, make and year.

WDC Black 250 GB ( 2018 ) writes and read at 3000/1600 mbs/s
Samsung 250 GB - 970 PRO writes and read at 3500/2300 mbs/s
Old 08-06-2018, 10:09 PM   #15
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh15 View Post
M.2, 2280 NVMe - SSD card :
1. If you have an expensive mother board and it can take M.2 , NVMe on mother board, then not go after sata ssd one,…….. or the PCI express slot one,…….. and definitely not for SSD ( looks like a drive with casing - 2.5” ) – rather buy later but good one.
Just so you know, NVMe SSDs are all PCIe drives. Think of VNMe as the "language" that is used by software to communicate with a PCIe SSD, just the way AHCI is the "language" used to communicate with SATA SSDs.

Also, note that there are U.2 (2.5") and M.2 form factors and they both have SATA and PCIe variants. In other words, you will find NVMe PCIe 2.5" SSDs and also SATA 2.5" SSDs. Likewise, you will find SATA M.2 SSDs and also PCIe (NVMe) M.2 SSDs.

U.2 (2.5") and M.2 are just form factors (sizes), SATA and PCIe are interfaces and NVMe and AHCI are "control languages". What you should care about most, is that SATA (using AHCI) is slower than PCIe (using NVMe). While there are 2.5" PCIe SSDs, they are super expensive, but they are the perfect choice for record-breaking speeds and high capacity (2TB), for use in servers in enterprise environments and RAID configurations. It's overkill for ordinary consumers.

Older M.2 slots may only support SATA SSDs, so a PCIe NVMe M.2 drive won't work with it, even though it may fit inside the slot. Newer M.2 slots may support both SATA and PCIe M.2 drives, but since SATA is a lot slower than PCIe, what would be the point of getting a SATA M.2 drive instead of a PCIe M.2 one? Cost perhaps? The difference isn't that significant.

All in all, since your pc has an M.2 slot that supports both SATA and PCIe, then I suggest you go for a PCIe (NVMe) M.2 drive. Your pc doesn't have a U.2 port, so you won't be able to use the ridiculously expensive U.2 (2.5") PCIe (NVMe) SSDs. However, your pc has SATA III ports, so you can also use a U.2 (2.5") SATA SSD which are still fast, though not as fast as PCIe, but still fast for that 5-8 second startup and split second program launching and fast game loading, as long as you go with one of at least 500MB/s speeds.

If you wanna read more about SSDs, Asus has a nice write up here https://rog.asus.com/articles/hands-...a-m-2-and-u-2/ that should get things into perspective.
rakesh15 likes this.
Old 08-08-2018, 05:13 AM   #16
Registered Member

^^ Nice, concise summary.

Quote:
Just so you know, NVMe SSDs are all PCIe drives.
I thought, some SSD cards are also coming and they have their connection gold chips on the longer side of that rectangular piece and they attach to the computer just like any typical sound and video card slots and that connection-way be different than those which connects directly on mother boards in M.2 size 2280 ports.

they look somewhat like this

instead of like this. ( below picture )

Mine is just similar like this

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/8cKAM0pQIX4/maxresdefault.jpg [ Words EAC is ssd card, in a process to be mounted ]

Mine one mounts like this, right on the Mother board. (Models 8910 and 8930 seems to be almost same) ( No sound of video )

For HDD Magnetic drives,
I also noticed that for the smaller sizes for the laptop (2.5" ) they make 128 MB Cache ones, - Models ST500LM034 ( 500GB ) and ST1000LM049 ( 1 TB ) , but somehow not in 3.5" sizes for desktops.

Old 08-08-2018, 06:41 AM   #17
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
^^ Nice, concise summary.

I thought, some SSD cards are also coming and they have their connection gold chips on the longer side of that rectangular piece and they attach to the computer just like any typical sound and video card slots and that connection-way be different than those which connects directly on mother boards in M.2 size 2280 ports.

they look somewhat like this

That is just an M.2 to PCIe adapter, not a type of SSD. You use it if you wanna use an M.2 PCIe SSD on a motherboard that doesn't have an M.2 slot, or if your motherboard doesn't have an extra M.2 slot. As you can see, the adapter has an M.2 slot where you would insert an M.2 SSD. On its own, the adapter is useless.
rakesh15 likes this.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:54 AM   #18
Registered Member

Ok. clear now. Thanks.

So, in other words, with this you can now install 2 or more SSDs also, in your CPU, by buying such more adapters, per availability of vacant slots in your computer.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:57 AM   #19
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Ok. clear now. Thanks.

So, in other words, with this you can now install 2 or more SSDs also, in your CPU, by buying such more adapters, per availability of vacant slots in your computer.
Precisely, yes.
rakesh15 likes this.
Closed Thread