Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

HDD failing, need a couple things off it

This is a discussion on HDD failing, need a couple things off it within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello! Got Windows XP Home and it won't boot up. It keeps trying to run CHKDSK but won't. So from

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 08:44 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello!

Got Windows XP Home and it won't boot up. It keeps trying to run CHKDSK but won't. So from browsing around their forum I see that means the hard drive itself is failing. Fine, I can just use my laptop and MOST of my stuff is backed up onto an external drive (for just such an occasion, as Foghorn Leghorn would say). But I wouldn't mind getting a few last tidbits off the old computer. Any help with that would be appreciated.

Specifics:
Normal boot only goes as far as the intro screen, says it's running CHKDSK, but after leaving it on for 24 hours, CHKDSK never completes.
I do NOT have the XP installation disk. I bought the computer with it pre-installed from Office Max and never had the disk.
I was able to access the BIOS and change the boot order to use a friend's Windows 7 install disk in the CD drive. I was able to run CHKDSK and it even came up with the XP screen for doing so. But CHKDSK still hung up and never completed after nine hours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2017, 01:39 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

You can pull the HDD out of the computer and attach it internally to a Desktop computer as a secondary drive or via a USB Adapter, Dock or Enclosure with a power adapter. The drive should come up as another drive on (My) Computer,

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] Noob needs help with new HDD & USB3.0 to Sata adapter
I'm desperate right now. I just spend two hours googling and haven't been able to find a solution. I'm terrified that my new HDD is DoA, but I'm hoping it's a different issue. So here's the deal. I built a PC a year ago. It's running Windows 7 on a small SSD and then I have my old 500GB HDD as...
bushid0 Hard Drive Support 11 03-02-2014 03:33 PM
WD SATA 500GB HDD Failure
My Windows 7 failed to boot one fine day and therefore I had to boot using windows cd and perform recovery process. However, the recovery was not succesfull as it kept hanging and nothing happens. I kept trying and the same thing happened. Left without a choice, I went to purchase a new HDD...
tango1800 Hard Drive Support 3 12-05-2012 07:57 AM
please help with new HDD I tried everything I know
Hello all this is my first post here and I'm reaching out for your expertise. Here's the rundown...I've recently purchased a new WD Caviar Green 1tb HDD to replace the Seagate 750gb HDD that recently crashed to the point that I am able to recover the drive. And here's the issue that I'm...
drnarron116 Motherboards, Bios & CPU 20 12-01-2012 08:22 AM
Is My HDD failing
Hello All, 2 days ago i installed a new Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000 3TB 7200RPM, Im using it solely for playing all my loss less music. Its seems to be chugging along nicely until i ran Ashampoo HDD control 2 to see how things are with all my drives and what it tells me is not good, I think. ...
krappo Hard Drive Support 0 08-28-2011 09:26 PM
Samsung HDD possibly failing
I have a Samsung SATA HDD that I think may be failing; however, it is possible that something else is happening. Lately, when saving a file to the drive, the system locks up for a while, and then it usually continues. Unfortunately, this drive is the drive the system thinks is the system...
jcleaver Hard Drive Support 3 06-02-2011 09:03 AM