Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

hard drive revs up like scanning the whole disc

This is a discussion on hard drive revs up like scanning the whole disc within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. recently my pc, xp-e-machines-servicepak 2 randomly will all of a sudden rev up like it is scanning the whole disc

Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 06:24 AM   #1
Registered Member

recently my pc, xp-e-machines-servicepak 2 randomly will all of a sudden rev up like it is scanning the whole disc to the end.and it does this at no particular time.sometimes it will go for close to a minute sometimes close to 2 minutes.alot of times, while its reving up yo can still navigate.in some instances it won;t let you.other than that no problems.help before i throw it out the window.
soundsy1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2011, 06:36 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Install Defraggler - File and Disk Defragmentation - Free Download

Open up the software and run the analyse on your drive.

Print screen the entire window and upload it.

or take a note of all of the stats Fragmentation % Free space etc.

Whichever is easier.

MCP | MCDST | MCSA
Old 07-31-2011, 10:16 AM   #3
Registered Member

tried the d-frag.same thing infact while i was replying here it did the same thing.any other ideas..its getting closer to the window!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2011, 11:02 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

If you cant even load up defraggler

Then reboot your machine and keep hitting F8 until you see a black screen with words on it.

Select Safe mode with networking

Try running defraggler, if your free disc space is less than 10% thats bad and if your defrag is more than 20% thats also not ideal.

Analyse your C: drive with defraggler and post up the free space and percentage fragmented.

Also comment on wether safemode is any better than the normal boot.

MCP | MCDST | MCSA
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search