Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Hard Drive almost full

This is a discussion on Hard Drive almost full within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi I am new to this forum so please excuse me for the question I am about to ask as

Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 01:14 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi
I am new to this forum so please excuse me for the question I am about to ask as I am sure you will find it very simple.

I have a 7 year old Toshiba sattelite with a 55gig hard drive.
When I look at the C drive properties it shows I only have 5 gig free.

Documents and settings show a 40gig usage but I dont know which files I can delete.

How would I find out how to free up some space, I have done a disc clean up and defrag.
Any help appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2011, 01:31 PM   #2
Enthusiast

Third-party applications will probably account for a lot of that used space, so any you do not need can be uninstalled. You can see how much space each is using by looking at the list in "Add & Remove Programs".

You can also regain some space by buying a couple of external hard drives and moving all your data files over to them (documents, pictures, music files etc.). Any new data files you create in future should then be saved on the two external drives instead of the local disk.

I've deliberately advised you to buy two external drives so that you always have two copies of all your data files on separate drives. It's folly to save them on just one drive given that all hard drives will eventually fail no matter how much care you lavish on them.

Another option is to buy a larger-capacity drive for the laptop of course.
Before installing the new drive, use "cloning" software to create an identical mirror image of your existing drive's contents to the new one. When that's done, remove the old drive and install the new one.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:38 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

To see what else is taking space try Space Sniffer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2011, 03:48 PM   #4
Registered Member

My System

Get yourself a USB external HDD and move your Music, Pictures, Videos and Documents to the external drive to free up space. Also try deleting Restore Points for System Restore.
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hard drive failure/recovery
Hi there. I need something of an explanation for the scenario I'm about to describe, as well as next steps. I had a 1TB Seagate hard drive recently "fail" on me. I'm trying to figure out to what extent currently. OSX had gotten into a funk of stuttering and needing to be hard restarted...
JButts15 Mac Support 4 07-27-2011 06:39 AM
Cloning Hard Drive
Here is the scenario I would like to solve: I currently have an older hard drive that is used on my previous pc. I have purchased an upgraded pc (same brand) and would now like to use the older pc's hard drive as backup storage on the new pc. Before reformatting and placing it into the new pc,...
rogers family Hard Drive Support 1 05-26-2011 11:13 AM
Magnet damage to hard drive
Hi, I believe my hard drive is a lost cause but I thought I'd see if anyone on here can help. I received some magnets in the post the other day and opened the parcel above my laptop without thinking about what it might be and managed to drop the magnets onto my open and running laptop. They...
snacey91 Hard Drive Support 1 05-21-2011 06:43 AM
Hard Drive not being recogonized etc.
Hello, I'm new to these forums, but basically I'll give you guys as much description as possible to my problems so maybe I can get some help. My hard drive which was a Seagate Barracuda 7200 1TB from HP failed on me once more, this is the second Seagate I have received from HP. The...
TheSeeker07 Hard Drive Support 11 02-22-2011 03:51 PM
How to copy your operating system from one drive to another.
Please do not post in this thread. I am rewriting an article. thanks. How to copy your operating system from one hard drive to another Published by JohnthePilot 11-28-2006 How to copy your operating system from one hard drive to another ________________________________________ How to...
JohnthePilot Dead-Sea Scrolls 2 03-05-2007 11:47 PM