Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Hard Disc Problem(s)? or worse?

This is a discussion on Hard Disc Problem(s)? or worse? within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Sorry in advance if this has come up hundreds of times before, The computer could turn off at any minute

Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 04:17 AM   #1
Registered Member

Sorry in advance if this has come up hundreds of times before, The computer could turn off at any minute for all I know (It has blue lines all over and the resolution is really out) :/

So the problem is, I started getting a message which read: Hard Disc S.M.A.R.T. Status BAD backup and replace; It allowed you to press F1 in order to start the computer normally which has been fine for about a week or so, (I'm really stupid for ignoring this warning I know).

I restarted the computer when it froze and then it froze again...but this time it blue screened saying the file nv4_disp is causing the problem, to which I have no idea what this file is.

I left it for an hour and it has come back on, I started it up in normal mode and the blue lines and the bad resolution as mentioned above are here but I am obviously able to access the internet fine.

Hope this helps you lot to work out what is wrong (hope it isn't too hard to fix)
Thanks, James.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2010, 04:31 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

SMART is a part of the bios on the motherboard that tells you the integrity of the Hard Drive. It is telling you that the HDD is about to fail and to back up the data on the drive as soon as possible, because you are going to have a failure any minute. You will need to purchase a new HDD and reinstall everything.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:01 AM   #3
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

what are you running
video card
cpu
m/board
ram
power supply
brand
model
wattage

check the listings in the bios for voltages and temperatures and post them

in the device manager uninstall the video card
reboot tapping f8 and choose vga mode
when windows finishes rebooting
disable a/virus
install your drivers
reboot the computer

d/load and run the h/drive makers diagnostic utility on the h/drive

https://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

once you receive a smart error it is best to replace the drive as soon as possible

then check what you can or if you can do anything with the drive

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2010, 06:16 AM   #4
Registered Member

Sorry about not replying, I'm trying to get the information about the pc now, It's my brothers pc you see and he's at uni so will need to find out from him first :(

I've been looking on the internet now and will a Samsung F3 HD103SJ 1TB internal Hard Drive do from Amazon as a general replacement? (It's 42.99, but i'm not the richest of people so that may have to do) since my parts will have become slightly dated as we custom built it a couple of years back.

Would buying a whole new hdd make this problem go away or is there more problems to deal with?

Thanks for your replies btw :)
Old 10-18-2010, 10:17 AM   #5
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

i prefer wd drives

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digi...418333&sr=1-15

Old 10-18-2010, 11:10 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dai View Post
Oh nice, I may have to rethink about what I'll replace. Thanks :)
Closed Thread