Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Freezes, can't move mouse or use keyboard

This is a discussion on Freezes, can't move mouse or use keyboard within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. On my friend's computer everything freezes, can't move mouse or use keyboard, and the only way is to do a

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 03:08 AM   #1
Registered Member

Exclamation

On my friend's computer everything freezes, can't move mouse or use keyboard, and the only way is to do a hard reset. It also seems to be making a lot of noise. When it starts up it works normally without any error messages.

This happens randomly and only once every few days, usually with IE7 but that is only because that is the primary program that she uses.

I thought that the loud noise was due to the hard drive, but could also be the CPU fan (not too familiar with the computer myself and it is hard to move it the way it is placed). I did a full scandisk, a couple of bad sectors were found and repaired. But since then it has been doing the same thing.

What could be the problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2008, 06:48 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Hi koskos and welcome to TSF,

First, be sure to backup the data files from the harddrive in case the noise is from it.
Next, unplug the computer and open it up. Clean out the dust. Be careful to always touch the bare metal case before touching anything inside to discharge any static electricity from yourself. Use a can of air to blow the dust out and be sure to blow out the power supply and the heat sink over the processor chip.
Use alcohol and a qtip to clean the fan blades off.
Next and while the side of off, try to locate the source of the noise. (likely a fan rattle) If it is a fan, they are not expensive, replace it.

Since it only happens every few days, it is likely overheating and the above might solve the problem. If it is a software conflict, it might be harder to find. You could monitor the processes in the Task Manager and see if anything is using too much CPU processing time. Normally you should see 99% idle when there is no program activity. Just before it freezes, you should see an application using at or near 100% usage. Again, if it fails only every few days, it might be hard to catch.
If you find it is an application problem, disable it or reinstall it.

Hope this helps.
Mack1

Closed Thread