Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

free A/V for WinXP

This is a discussion on free A/V for WinXP within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I;m still running WinXP,had MS Essentials till recently but now they don't support updated a/v software.I bought Malware Bytes AntiMalware

Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 08:58 AM   #1
Registered Member

I;m still running WinXP,had MS Essentials till recently but now they don't support updated a/v software.I bought Malware Bytes AntiMalware Premium but have been told that this isn't an anti/virus.So i tried AVASTI,but it was 625MB and was slowing down my lenovo PC.
What free a/v do you guys recommend that doesn't slow down my PC because it is so large?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2016, 09:19 AM   #2
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Avast is fast, even on limited resources. Malwarebytes on the other hand uses a lot of memory, especially the premium version when real-time protection is enabled. How much RAM does that PC have?
Old 05-08-2016, 09:26 AM   #3
Registered Member

i use avast on my other XP machine but as suggested, ram makes a difference

Avira, a free and well liked AV may not be any faster then avast but its each to their own
https://www.avira.com/

also, for Uninstalling Avast use avastclear:
  1. Download avastclear.exe on your desktop.
  2. Start Windows in Safe Mode.
  3. Open (execute) the uninstall utility.
  4. If you installed Avast in a different folder than the default, browse for it. (Note: Be careful! ...
  5. Click REMOVE.
  6. Restart your computer.
https://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2016, 09:33 AM   #4
Registered Member

AMD Athlon 64P 3200+ 2.20GHZ, 1.93 GB RAM
i alreadu uninstalled AVAST as it was really slowing down my PC
How big is Avira? if i choose that one?
Old 05-08-2016, 10:41 AM   #5
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigalster View Post
AMD Athlon 64P 3200+ 2.20GHZ, 1.93 GB RAM
i alreadu uninstalled AVAST as it was really slowing down my PC
How big is Avira? if i choose that one?
It seems you're more concerned with how much space the installation takes on local disk. Local storage space is rarely a problem these days, which makes me suspect you have a really small hard disk or you have very little free space remaining on SYSTEMDRIVE, which explains why your system slowed down when you installed a program that took up quite some space (Avast). It is recommended that you have at least 10% free space.
Old 05-08-2016, 10:45 AM   #6
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

Malwarebytes is far more important than an Antivirus as we haven't seen a real virus in many years an Antivirus programs seldom do much against Trojans either. Avira is more interested in installing their toolbars which defeat the whole purpose of having an Antivirus and Avast is a lot of system drag, Avg being even more drag. Adaware has a free Av that is light to use but actually if I had Mbam Pro working I would not to worry about an AV these days. Maybe when year is up with Mbam buy Emsisoft which is both Av and AntiMalware and probably the best program available today which is really a light touch for the system.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 05-08-2016, 01:05 PM   #7
Registered Member

ok Rich so with MBAM Premium i don't need an A/V you are saying? I am just riding the last coattails of Win XP and intend on buying (or having built) a PC with all bells&whistles.Win XP has been so stable and good to me.It's like the family dog,very faithful and it is hard to let it go...
I am running my Acer laptop on Win Pro 7 and have MS essentials still protecting that machine. Intend on upgrading to Win 10 at some point as well.

Avira says it is only 4.1MB that is big difference from AVAST at 625 MB? When you only have 2 GBS of RAM; you can't afford to install such a big a/v when you have no space. Furthermore Lenovo didn't allow the HD to be upgraded on my machine,they want you to buy a brand new PC so i couldn't get anything bigger and 2Gb RAM was all i could get.
Old 05-08-2016, 01:19 PM   #8
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
ok Rich so with MBAM Preminum i don't need an A/V you are saying? I am just riding the last coattails of Win XP and intend on buying (or having built) a PC with all bells&whistles.Win XP has been so stable and good to me.It's like the family dog,very faithful and it is hard to let it go...
I am running my Acer laptop on Win Pro 7 and have MS essentials still protecting that machine. Intend on upgrading to Win 10 at some point as well.
There may not be as many new viruses as other malware, but that doesn't mean the old ones are non existent. It would be a shame to get infected with something that was conquered long ago just because you chose to use a complimentary anti-malware which is not a replacement for antivirus protection. Mbam is NOT a replacement for av. It does not detect all known existing viruses, because that's not its intended purpose. It's meant to catch malware that av scanners may miss.

You can also try Panda Free, it's a small installation compared to the others.
Old 05-08-2016, 01:31 PM   #9
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Avira says it is only 4.1MB that is big difference from AVAST at 625 MB? When you only have 2 GBS of RAM; you can't afford to install such a big a/v when you have no space. Furthermore Lenovo didn't allow the HD to be upgraded on my machine,they want you to buy a brand new PC so i couldn't get anything bigger and 2Gb RAM was all i could get.
Do you really think an antivirus program's full installation package can be 4.1MB? That is just a Web/online/stub installer/downloader that fetches the actual package from the av's download server(s).

A program installation may occupy 1GB of hard disk space, but it doesn't mean that's the amount of ram it uses. Avast occupies over 1GB disk space on my HDD, but uses only 30MB of ram (in two separate processes), while the offline installer was about 150MB only.
Old 05-08-2016, 04:09 PM   #10
Registered Member

Thx Stancestans,
i downloaded Panda free 132 MB,so that is big diff from AVAST at 632MB; Better to be safe than sorry i guess;won't hurt to have a/v
Old 05-09-2016, 10:32 AM   #11
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

bigalster by all means use Mbam Pro on the other pcs as that license is for 3 computers BTW.
While I never meant to suggest Mbam could be your total protection it is by far the most important. I have not personally seen any antivirus remove anything in a bunch of years yet it is not a bad idea to have an AV. Avira is a huge troublesome roadblock in a system to my opinion and I would rather have nothing that that but that is my opinion. Avast is not a much system drag and Adaware is also barely noticeable and Adaware Antivirus is somewhat new in the past year and does work nicely on XP, should a virus ever show up.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Closed Thread