Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Formatting my computer with an External Monitor

This is a discussion on Formatting my computer with an External Monitor within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi guys, so my Acer Aspire 5315 series is really really hurt. Screen broken,Cd drive missing. And the registry is

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 04:56 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi guys, so my Acer Aspire 5315 series is really really hurt. Screen broken,Cd drive missing. And the registry is a tad messed up because i used to be able to click on the portion of the screen i can still see and click properties > and switch to external. Now i get an error trying to do that.
What i want to do is re install the OS so i can start fresh, but can it be done with an external monitor and a usb drive?

Main questions :
Where can i download Win XP or Vista or 7 to get it on a USB drive?
Can I do it with an external monitor?
Thank you, any other suggestions such as how to fix the properties error (Rundll32) would be appreciated, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2011, 06:09 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

As long as the computer is capable of booting from USB - you can install Windows from a USB flash drive. You would need a genuine copy of Windows.

There is a simple program out there that can help you with this..
WinToFlash - Install Windows from usb - Home page

You should be able to hook up an external monitor - the laptop probably has a VGA output.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:03 PM   #3
Registered Member

It does have vga im using it right now to type this in safemode.
I just wanted to know if it would still work as im trying to reformat the computer throughout the whole process
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2011, 07:09 PM   #4
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

It should.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:25 AM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

Yep - should still work fine.

Make sure the computer is capable of booting from USB before proceeding with anything, though.