Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

formatting hard drive

This is a discussion on formatting hard drive within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Recently my network stopped working, in trying to set it up again it said that I was missing drivers so

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 11:33 PM   #1

Recently my network stopped working, in trying to set it up again it said that I was missing drivers so I put the disk in to get those. Now with the new changes after I sign on to my pc it has a pop up that says I now have to reactivate windows, would you like to do this now....YES or NO, but no matter which one I choose it kicks me right back to the main computer user log in screen. It won't let me boot any drives to rerun the windows disk to reinstall. I have no desktop and I can't get to command prompt either. I would love to know if there is a way to completely reset the motherboard and all of it's hardware and software and start from scratch, or to format the hard drive from bios since that is the only place I can go other than user log on screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2008, 11:54 PM   #2
Registered Member

You can boot to your windows xp disk and format from there if you want to. Just make sure to set your cd-rom drive as the first boot device inside of bios, under boot sequence. After that, exit and save out of bios. You will see something along the lines of "Hit any key to boot from disk" come up on your screen. Do so and your xp disk will take it from there.

After it inspects your hardware, you will get a couple of options. Install a copy of windows, boot to recovery console, etc.... Selecting "install a copy of windows" will give you the option of formating your diskdrive.

Please be aware that after doing so, for all practical purposes all of your information on that particular diskdrive will be wipped out in a matter of less than a second. Then the reformatting/remapping of the drive will take place.
Closed Thread