Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Format using NTFS (full format option) stops at 18%. WHY'S THAT?

This is a discussion on Format using NTFS (full format option) stops at 18%. WHY'S THAT? within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Why does formatting my drive using NTFS (the full format one) stop at 18%? Once I've booted from Windows XP

Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 01:35 PM   #1
Registered Member

Why does formatting my drive using NTFS (the full format one) stop at 18%? Once I've booted from Windows XP Pro SP3 installation disc and choose the full format using NTFS, at 18% it stops. I've been using my hard driv for 6 years but have actually REALLY used it the last two years. The previous 4 years I have been using it for homework (like once in 3 weeks).

However, I partitioned my drive using GParted (main partition 160GBand second partition at 20GB) then attempted full format using NTFS option and the full format stopped at 24%. When the format stops, I mean that the yellow bar stays at 24% and does not move for over an hour. The NTFS format (quick option) is like, 0% then jumps to 20%, then jumps to 100% and starts loading the files and all that normal stuff.

WHY DOES THE FORMAT OF MY DRIVE STOP AT 18%????????????????? please help me, I have had no answers for 2 years. At yahoo answers, what I get is some noobs who answer.

Also I want to note that I have a drive made by Western Digital and I have used their diagnostic tools thing and my raw read error rate is at value of 2 and reallocated sector count is some high number (both of the numbers are in red color, everything else in regular black).

SAVE ME I don't want to buy a new hard drive since the United States' economy is so low and my family isn't exactly rich (1 pc using for 6 years). I don't know if I screwed up the situation more but last summer (of 2009) I reformatted and reinstalled Windows XP Pro quite a few times, like once a week till school started.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2009, 03:33 PM   #2
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

The reallocated sectors means that bad sectors have been found, marked as unusable, and replaced with "spares". Bad sectors can be just a one time glitch that affected some sectors, or a sign of a failing drive. If the number of bad sectors continually increases, it's time to replace the drive.

Bad sectors are manged by the drive hardware and by Windows. The drive will add a bad sector to the Grown Defect list (G-List) when it finds one. These sectors should be invisible to the operating system.
Chkdsk will add bad sectors to the $BadClus file. I'm not sure if this is also passed to the hard drive for it to add to it's G-List.
When you do a format, the $BadClus file is deleted. On a full format, Windows runs chkdsk /R on the drive. This checks every sector on the drive to see if it's good or bad. Any bad sectors that were in the $BadClus file, but not added to the G-List, will be checked again.

If you have many bad sectors, this could take hours, if not days. I had one 60 GB disk that took over 48 hours to run chkdsk /R. Most of that time was spent getting from 40% to 41%. It has only 152 KiB in bad sectors, which is only 304 sectors. It's been nearly 3 years and it hasn't increased, so seems it was just one of those glitches.

You may need to let the system run for a few days for the format to complete, but from the sound of things, you should be saving up for a new drive. And certainly have a good backup program in place for your data.

If all the bad sectors are in one spot, you could try to create partitions around the bad spot. 24% of 160GB is 38.4. 18% of 180 GB is 32.4.
You could make a 30 GB partition, a 10 GB partition, then a 140 GB partition, and see if you can do a full format on the 1st and 3rd without it taking too long. I'd then install XP on the 140 GB partition. That might work as a temporary solution until you can replace the drive.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:05 PM   #3
Registered Member

how do i weed out the bad spot?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2009, 10:27 PM   #4
Registered Member

How long does it usually take for a full format of drive that is 180 GB?
Closed Thread