Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Fatal Error when Installing![RESOLVED]

This is a discussion on Fatal Error when Installing![RESOLVED] within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Okay, when I try to install windows, at the main downloading screen, it gives me a Fatal Error: Access Denied.

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 07:48 PM   #1
Registered Member

Okay, when I try to install windows, at the main downloading screen, it gives me a Fatal Error: Access Denied. I tried 3 Windows XP disks, too! Any help?
-Arnack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2007, 08:52 PM   #2
Registered Member

This is the main Windows XP Disk.
Old 01-07-2007, 07:34 AM   #3

I think some more info is needed in order to understand the issue.

Is there Windows already installed on this computer? If so, did you boot and then insert the CD? Or are you booting from the CD?
Quote:
at the main downloading screen
I am not sure what that means as that is not enough or correct info. The installation routine is in 2 distinct phases. During the first phase files are being copied from the CD to the hard drive. Then the computer reboots and the second phase starts - the GUI phase, where you see objects and images on the screen while the rest of Windows installs. Please tell us specifically at what point in the procedure does it fail, and what exactly is the error message that you are getting?

It may also be helpful to know why you are installing Windows in the first place. What was the issue with this computer that you are curing by installing Windows, or is this a new computer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2007, 08:17 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Frankenstein View Post
I think some more info is needed in order to understand the issue.

Is there Windows already installed on this computer? If so, did you boot and then insert the CD? Or are you booting from the CD?I am not sure what that means as that is not enough or correct info. The installation routine is in 2 distinct phases. During the first phase files are being copied from the CD to the hard drive. Then the computer reboots and the second phase starts - the GUI phase, where you see objects and images on the screen while the rest of Windows installs. Please tell us specifically at what point in the procedure does it fail, and what exactly is the error message that you are getting?

It may also be helpful to know why you are installing Windows in the first place. What was the issue with this computer that you are curing by installing Windows, or is this a new computer?
Windows Vista was installed, but I deleted that partition. I started my computer, puted the CD in, and turned off my computer and turned it back on. It fails on the GUI Page, and it gives me a "Fatal Error" Access Denied. I can't get some file from the CD to my computer I think. If I press OK it gives me an error report.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:49 AM   #5

Quote:
If I press OK it gives me an error report.
Is this report something you can copy and post here?
Old 01-07-2007, 08:58 AM   #6
Registered Member

No, because I cannot get on that computer and get on the internet. I am currently on another computer. The Error Report just says Access Denied, etc.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:01 AM   #7

Well, I was thinking more in the line of pen and paper.

I am still thinking through the issue, but it might be tough without more exact info.

A couple of ideas first come to mind:

Unplug any printers, etc you might have plugged into this machine before trying to install XP.

How old is this machine? If it is 5 or 6 years old it is possible that the CD drive is too old to work properly and an upgrade might be needed.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:04 AM   #8

Perhaps you can review this article. Make sure you are following all of the steps. If you continue to have issues, please tell us at exactly what stage. The good thing about this article is it has lots of pictures for each phase of the installation, so you should be able to identify at what stage the issue arises.

https://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...p/install.mspx
Old 01-07-2007, 09:09 AM   #9
Registered Member

Okay, thanks, I'll try that. But i'll tell you what I have been doing: During the non-gui installation it tells me that it cannot load blah.xml or yadda.xml. It asks me to press ESC to ignore. I think it cannot load any .xml files. So what I did is I put an object on the ESC key, and just waited an hour or two, and when I came back I just restarted the computer, and it went back to the GUI screen and I got the error.. Dunno if that would be a problem.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:12 AM   #10
TSF Team, Emeritus

Hi,

Are you trying to do a clean reformat and install, or are you trying to keep old data?
Old 01-07-2007, 09:25 AM   #11
Registered Member

Clean format and install.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:33 AM   #12
TSF Team, Emeritus

Hi,

Do it the easy way. Under my signature, there is a link called Hard Drive Diagnostics. Open that one and download the one that is appropriate (the one for the drive manufacturer of your hard drive)for your computer (using the computer you are on right now), then use this to partition the drive, do a clean format, and then you will ready for the install. Should be a piece of cake if you don't have other problems.

Just remember when you are ready to install that you need to have your Hard Drive Priority (if your board has that option) and your Boot order (CDRom - 1st.....Floppy - 2nd.....Hard Drive (boot drive) - 3rd) set correctly before you begin the install.

Post back with questions/concerns.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:45 AM   #13
Registered Member

Well, thanks, but I have no partitions currently installed on my computer, and also, I'm not currently exactly sure what hard drive I have.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:57 AM   #14
TSF Team, Emeritus

Hi,

Is this a new drive? Do you have the Boot order set correctly? If you intalled the drive, how did you hook it up....like how are the jumpers set, is it on IDE Primary, and where did you place it on the ribbon cable??? Look on the top of the drive and it will tell you what brand name it is.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:59 AM   #15
Registered Member

Yeah, It is set in order. And this is not a new drive. I've done this many times before, it's just not working for me now.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:02 AM   #16

Well, there are not too many things happening when you are at that stage of the installation. What is happening at that stage is files from the CD are being copied to RAM. There are basically three things that can go wrong:

1) the CD is defective. You said earlier that you have tried different CDs with the same result. So it probably not this.

2) the CD drive is old and the firmware needs updating. You still haven't said how old the CD drive and what model it is.

3) the RAM memory is defective. If you care to test the memory:

Microsoft Memory Diagnostic
Memtest86
Old 01-07-2007, 10:06 AM   #17
TSF Team, Emeritus

Hi Arnack,

Need to be gone for a few for a family obligation, but have asked a friend of mine who is another Moderator to come and work with you if he has time. If he is busy, will try to get back later in the PM.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:08 AM   #18
Registered Member

Okay thanks Tumbleweed! Anyways, the computer is not that old at all. I have done this installation many times before, but this time I have contracted a problem.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:36 AM   #19
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

Open your case and see what hdd you have, go to the manufactures website and download their utilities,create a bootable floppy.

Use this to write zeros to the drive, if you have more than one drive in the machine disconnect power to the drive you do not wish to format to avoid accidentally doing so.

Then use the same utilities to partion and format the drive.

After all this is complete boot from you windows cd and see if you can install.

Keep us posted of you progress and ask questions if necessary

JOIN TEAM TSF
Old 01-07-2007, 10:46 AM   #20
Registered Member

I tried finding the logo of the creator on my HDD, but I failed to find one.
Closed Thread