Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

external hard drive lost free space

This is a discussion on external hard drive lost free space within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Yesterday I had 40 GB of free space and today I have 7 GB. I was hoping no one was

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 08:08 AM   #1
Registered Member

Yesterday I had 40 GB of free space and today I have 7 GB. I was hoping no one was using my system to store things, or if this might just be a reporting error. I physically can't see any extra files.

Maxtor n256 80GB

I was deleting files from the drive and also deleted a movie that was 6+GB so having 7 GB of free space doesn't make sense
The content of the drive is pictures some movies, a few program files, and some word documents.
I emptied the trash on my Dell. I analyzed the drive and the defagmentor says I only have 7 GB of free space.

Is there a program that will account for the files and sizes of the files on my drive?

I have Dell dimension 8400, running XP 2002, service pac3

Thanks for any advice
Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2011, 10:26 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 7 Ultimate X64 and x86 SP1 & Windows XP Pro SP3

My System

Hi SMACK599

Can you download this program. It will show you exactly what files are taking up the most amount of space on your computer. It's called WinDirStat and once you have run the program, it will start detailing your pc. Let it do it's thing and when finished it should show you what is taking up space and where. Simply hover your mouse over the colours at the bottom of the window to see what the file is and where it is. If you see one that looks very large, click on it and it will be highlighted for you at the top.
Let us know if this helps.
Which defrag program are you using?
Old 03-27-2011, 10:27 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

Hi

You could use something like SpaceSniffer which will show you which folders contain the most data.

You could also use CCleaner to remove your temporary files etc. (Just do not use the registry cleaner)

Edit: Just too slow SpaceSniffer and WinDirStat are similar programs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2011, 10:30 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 7 Ultimate X64 and x86 SP1 & Windows XP Pro SP3

My System

Ditto on the CCleaner.
You could also check to see if you have any old Java updates that can now be deleted via add/ remove programs.
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HELP!! External hard drive lost all my files
HI i'm a newbie here but not untechy I used to belong to tekheads forum many moons ago Please someone help me...I last week brought a Toshiba Satellite laptop running windows 7, to replace my blue screening Dell vista laptop. On plugged in my sumo external hard drive to copy over some much...
bluebirdbabe Removable Media Drives 1 04-01-2011 12:38 PM
[SOLVED] Installed Win 7 - Case become loud
Hi all. I know that im profoundly deaf but im really not happy with my PC as i installed Win 7 and the noise started to raise since extracting windows installion and thought it will be gone as when Win7 loads but since win7 start. the case begin to get loud and loud. I can feel the heavy...
CrazyComputerMan Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support 9 02-24-2011 01:52 PM
External hard drive not being recognised
Hi, My external hard drive last night started playing up. I was watching a movie and at points it would freeze and I would have to close my media player and reopen and skip about a minute of the movie as it would always freeze at the same points. I tested with another video I know worked a few...
shonfield Hard Drive Support 16 02-16-2011 10:57 PM
hard drive keeps change free space!!!
Hello, I have been having some trouble lately with my home computer, every so often the Pc will crash with a blue screen, with white text saying that a physical memory dump bios is being completed or something like that, i turn it off then back on again and it works fine, however each time this...
cyroflame Windows XP Support 1 01-04-2011 11:16 AM
How to copy your operating system from one drive to another.
Please do not post in this thread. I am rewriting an article. thanks. How to copy your operating system from one hard drive to another Published by JohnthePilot 11-28-2006 How to copy your operating system from one hard drive to another ________________________________________ How to...
JohnthePilot Dead-Sea Scrolls 2 03-05-2007 11:47 PM