Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Explorer seems to freeze after Standby

This is a discussion on Explorer seems to freeze after Standby within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, all! I checked the internet for a solution and have found none before coming here. Nobody else seems to

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2016, 03:08 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello, all! I checked the internet for a solution and have found none before coming here. Nobody else seems to have the exact same issue I do.
Laptop is a Dell Latitude D630, Intel Core2 Duo CPU, [email protected], 2GB RAM. The issue cropped up about two weeks ago. For several years, I've been able to open Firefox (loading several pages for use in a location without internet) and a text editor (OpenOffice or Microsoft Works), and then put into Standby without any issues when later resumed. I haven't made any changes that I'm aware of. Checked for viruses with no hits (including using rkill, just in case).
What happens on resume after Standby is; I have access to programs running (Firefox, Wordpad), but anything Explorer-related is frozen. Folders opened cannot be accessed, Taskbar is decor, trying to use Task Manager makes things worse (cannot access anything minimized any more. I can Alt+Tab between the usable programs. Restarting the computer takes roughly 20~30 minutes. Drivers are up to date. Can't think of anything to add offhand.
Assistance would be most greatly appreciated.

Edit: Occasionally, the time will reset to November 2008.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2016, 04:54 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
Occasionally, the time will reset to November 2008.
This is an indication that the CMOS battery needs to be replaced. You can get a new battery on Ebay by typing in your Make and Model# and add the word CMOS Battery.
Here is a video showing how to replace it.

If this seems all too much, you can have a local computer repair man do the repair for you.
Old 10-01-2016, 05:12 PM   #3
Registered Member

Would a bad CMOS battery do the rest? Also, new possible symptom. Was running Spybot, unsure if it had finished its thing, but after reading your message, I went to look up CMOS battery and only got to "CMOS batter" on Google when the computer froze entirely, emitting a constant stream of random electronic/static-like sounds. That's a first for that one. Also, I do remember pulling the battery entirely before since I didn't want to wait for the 20~30 minute reboot, so that probably affected the clock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2016, 04:43 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

There may be more then one issue with this laptop. You will have to tackle each problem one at a time. Starting with the CMOS battery. Then restart the computer and press F12 and run the Hardware Diagnostics, on the Memory and the HDD. If any hardware fails the tests then it would need to be replaced.
Being as old as it is, the cost of fixing it is not really worth it. You can buy a new/Used computer for about the same price as fixing this computer.
Old 10-02-2016, 06:53 PM   #5
Registered Member

Alright. CMOS battery is less than $10. Ran the Hardware Diagnostic. Alas, the last test on the memory failed.
Error Code 0123.
Msg: Error Code 2000-0123
Msg: Memory integrity test failed.
Address=0_57DCBD1Ch,
Actual=FFF7FEFFh,
Expected=FFFFFEFFh,
Location=DIMM_A
New memory equivilant to what I already have is around $20.
Did not have any issues with the laptop starting up from Standby today. What next? (besides replacing parts)
Old 10-03-2016, 01:29 AM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

That's it. Replace RAM and CMOS Battery.
Old 10-06-2016, 11:13 PM   #7
Registered Member

Alright. Parts are ordered and should be here within a week or two. Hopefully. Had another crash today too. I was starting to thing it may have been having both Firefox and Wordpad that made it crash, since if I didn't have them both open on Standby, it'd usually start up with no problems. That was disproven today. Only had Firefox. Can we keep this open until I get the parts and not have me replying needlessly every three days?
Old 10-07-2016, 02:11 AM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

You can mark this thread Solved in the Thread Tools at the top, when you are satisfied. Other then that, this thread will remain open.
Old 10-11-2016, 11:37 PM   #9
Registered Member

Alright. Got the new RAM. Followed a youtube video to install the replacement. Laptop is now bricked. The 'power', numlock, and scrolllock lights turn on solid with a slow blinking capslock light. Turns itself off in a minute. Screen does not come on. Battery is full. I know I did it properly as I've experience with electronics. I put the old RAM back in. Nope.
Old 10-12-2016, 01:31 AM   #10
Registered Member

Okay, that has been fixed. Turns out the internet is a thing to find answers. Who knew? Ran the Memory test again and got a pass. Still waiting for CMOS battery. Will be testing it until then for previous errors.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:50 AM   #11
Registered Member

I received and installed the new CMOS battery...even though the one that was in the laptop was unplugged. For how long, probably for as long as I've owned it. No way I mistakenly unplugged it while replacing the RAM. The replacement of the RAM was not enough to stop the crashes. Happened again last night. I doubt the CMOS battery has anything to do with them. Ran another memory test and it passed. What next?
Old 10-20-2016, 12:54 PM   #12
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
Msg: Memory integrity test failed....Location=DIMM_A.
This show that the stick in DIMM slot A is bad.
Remove all but one stick of RAM download Memtest, burn it to CD with IMGBurn both in my signature, or use their Auto Installer for USB. Boot off of the newly created media and run the test on each stick separately for at least 7 passes, if you get any errors, Red in the bottom pane that stick is bad.
When opening the computer be sure to blow out all fans with a can of compressed air.
If it passes, then Run Check Disk on HDD
Go to Start/Search and type CMD, Right click the CMD results and Run As Administrator. In the Elevated Command Prompt type chkdsk /R and press enter. Now type a Y for Yes and restart the computer. Check Disk will run at next bootup and go thru 5 stages and it will take a long time.
Old 10-20-2016, 04:56 PM   #13
Registered Member

I have already installed the new RAM sticks. I ran all of those tests anyways and they reported that all is well.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:17 PM   #14
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

If by Crash, you mean the computer froze, then try a Clean Boot. If that works, add one startup item at a time and reboot each time, until the computer freezes again.
I hope when you were replacing RAM and CMOS battery that you cleaned out all the dust and blew out the fans with a can of compressed air.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:30 PM   #15
Registered Member

I cleaned out what I could. The fans are located on the other side of the circuitry I had access to. By "crash/freeze", I mean Explorer.exe stopped working. I can continue using other programs that are running (Firefox, Wordpad, etc.) and save progress in documents as long as they already exist and do not pull up a Save As... prompt. Folders do not work. The taskbar does not work. Internet is disabled. Task Manager takes several minutes to open. The freeze only happens upon coming out of Standby (physically closing the laptop). Even then, the last few days after I installed the new RAM, it's been okay until last night. As a side note, Microsoft does not support anything XP-related. They've taken all links and information that may help anybody with XP off of their official sites.
Old 10-21-2016, 01:41 AM   #16
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Go to Start/Run and type SFC /scannow, put the XP CD in and it will replace any missing system files.
Windows Updates still works for XP. Also, if you are looking for a particular Windows XP update by KB # you can find it on Microsoft Update Catalog site works best using IE.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:49 PM   #17
Registered Member

I did not receive the Windows XP disc(s) when I purchased the laptop second-hand. The "SFC /scannow" asks for Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 CD in a continuous loop. "Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL Cache." Hitting cancel opens a "If you cancel, Windows might require you to insert a CD later. Are you sure you want to skip this file?" Hitting yes just opens the first error again. Kept going anyways and it asks for Windows XP Professional CD-ROM a few times in between the Service Pack 3.

Going to Windows Update constantly wants to download the same three KB files, even though I've downloaded them already. Pretty sure the KB numbers are supposed to change when there's an update to a particular file and I highly doubt they update those files every 10 minutes or less.
Old 10-24-2016, 04:36 PM   #18
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

You will need any Windows XP Pro CD with SP3 to run SFC scannow. It does not have to be a CD that came with your computer.
As for the Updates, those keep failing. To see what updates you have installed, go to Start/Run and type appwiz.cpl and press enter. In the Add Remove Programs put a check in box at the top to Show Updates. This will list all installed Windows Updates by KB#
Write down the KB # for the failed updates, and Google the KB# plus the word Download and download them manually.
Old 12-15-2016, 03:42 PM   #19
Registered Member

Alright. Finally managed to get the WinXP Pro CD (w/SP3) and ran SFC scannow. No errors this time. Appwiz.cpl did not show any failed downloads of any kind. Still having the same issue originally posted.
Old 12-15-2016, 06:44 PM   #20
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

It might be time to reinstall Windows, now that you have a disc.