Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

.exe and .lnk problems

6K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Geekgirl 
#1 ·
Hi folks.
Have searched this forum and others and have tried all of the solutions but still can't get my exe files to work.
I can't run regedit, I can't run exe programs from explorer.
My exe icons, when double clicked say it's a lnk extension and what do I want to associate it with.
I have tried d/l the reg files people have suggested but when I right or left click, it won't run. doesn't know what to associate it with.
I have also done a system restore and gone back a week. It works halfway until I reboot the machine, then it's the same problems.
This all started after I tried to run an old game.

Does anybody have a solution? Do I have to buy a new machine out of frustration? :4-dontkno
Thanks

#3 ·
Hi
I am new to this forum, and how I got here was over this very problem which I have just recovered from and have been trying to figure out what may have caused it.
My problem started after downloading updates from MS. I am suspecting that something in these downloads caused a conflict with AdAware.
Anyway, I found this problem was discussed 3-25-2005 on this forum at (http://www.techsupportforum.com/showthread.php?t=45763).
I had to boot in safe mode with a command prompt in order to load regedit.exe so that I could import the registry edits.
Hope this helps. From the information I have seen on different forums it appears that this is not an isolated problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.