Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Error copying file or folder; cannot copy img the directory or file cannot be created

This is a discussion on Error copying file or folder; cannot copy img the directory or file cannot be created within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I cannot copy or paste jpeg files from my computer to my SD 2GB cards. Also, I get this msg

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 12:13 PM   #1

I cannot copy or paste jpeg files from my computer to my SD 2GB cards. Also, I get this msg when I try to print jpeg files. Using Adobe Elements I am able to archive these files. Oddly enough I can attach and send these jpeg files via email. Prior to August '08 was able to do these tasks without a problem. I suspect that there is a software compatibility problem since this problem came on suddenly (maybe iTunes?). No problems importing jpeg files from SD cards. I've looked at several sites on the internet but none seem to have the right solution for my problem. THANKS for any help that you can provide! -Stu
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2009, 02:26 AM   #2

This has caught me more than once.

The problem is a limitation on the number of files and folders allowed in the root folder of a FAT16 file system (as for a memory card) of 512. (Note, this number is reduced much further if longer file names than 8 characters are used, as most people will want to).

When transferring the files onto the card, new files will be rejected when you hit this limit.

So keep your files in separate folders, so they are not all in the root folder.

For files and folders in root it might be worth keeping your filenames under 8 characters in length so you can use the full 512 files on root folder.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:23 AM   #3

Thanks for the response. After reading several related topics I tried reformating the SD memory chips (4GB) and then found I could xfer files. What is odd to me is that I transferred nearly 1500 jpeg files to an SD (4GB) chip without a problem prior to this problem surfacing? I do not recall creating folders to transfer the jpegs into. However, I suspect that reformating the SD chip seems to reset the file number to 0, while simply deleting files from the SD chip may not reset the file number. Is that possible?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2009, 01:15 AM   #4

So far as I know the 512 limit is absolute for the root folder when the card is formatted with FAT16, and I don't think deleted files count against that limit even if the card is not formatted. The likeliest explanation is that the 1500 were in a folder or that you reformatted with a different file system - I can't check a 4GB card here but it might be possible to use even NTFS.

I'm no expert on this by the way. I originally couldn't understand why the camera could put so many images on a card but I couldn't move them to a new card (for a digital frame) without hitting a limit when the card was still nearly empty. The camera used folders, of course, and replicating them solved the problem. Later I found the reason why in the FAT16 specification.
Closed Thread