Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Email Message Problem

This is a discussion on Email Message Problem within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. The message below came in my XP Hotmail emails saying I had 5 messages, listed from a party I know.

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 04:06 PM   #1
Registered Member

My System

Arrow

The message below came in my XP Hotmail emails saying I had 5 messages, listed from a party I know.
I went into the email and pressed the "go to messages" shown below but cannot get to the messages, instead I got a "There is a problem with this website's security certificate." and nothing happens beyond that... How can I get to my messages to read? Thanks for your help. HJ

Hello!

You have new messages available.

Go To Messages

Instagram 526 South Park Street Suite 96 San Francisco, CA 94107
Not your account? [URL-Deleted to prevent account being cancelled]]Remove your email [Deleted to prevent Email removal] from this account.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2017, 04:50 PM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

The Go To link takes me to the sign in for outlook.com using Firefox. Try another browser.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 06-27-2017, 01:54 PM   #3
Registered Member

My System

Corday...Thanks for your reply, but after trying what you suggested I tried Firefox instead of IE8, which is what I have always used on my XP, and this is what I keep getting in reponse, instead of the 5 emails, after I press, "go to messages"... HJ

Secure Connection Failed

The connection to href.li was interrupted while the page was loading.
The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2017, 02:08 PM   #4
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

What AV do you have? Also at the bottom of the page in Firefox do you see "I Understand the Risks"?

Old 06-28-2017, 08:31 AM   #5
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corday View Post
What AV do you have? Also at the bottom of the page in Firefox do you see "I Understand the Risks"?
Corday, Avira, which apparently no longer gives updates for XP. I've tried getting AVG in the hope it does but it always stops at 97% and never completes the download.

No, I don't see "I Understand the Risks" in Firefox. Thanks. HJ
Old 06-28-2017, 09:35 AM   #6
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

Delete any AVG folders on your C: Let's see if that allows the Email to come through.
If Not>FF>Tools>Options>Advanced>Certificates>Requests>Select One Automatically.
Two years ago Instagram let its Certificate expire. Now that they're part of Facebook, this shouldn't be the case.

Old 06-29-2017, 07:56 AM   #7
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Delete any AVG folders on your C: Let's see if that allows the Email to come through.
If Not>FF>Tools>Options>Advanced>Certificates>Requests>Select One Automatically.
Two years ago Instagram let its Certificate expire. Now that they're part of Facebook, this shouldn't be the case.
Corday, I'll do whatever you say if it's the only option, but I am really hesitant to delete Avira as that will leave me without any protection at all and I'm afraid I won't be able to get it back if it becomes necessary with my outdated XP.
Did you mean AVG or Avira. I have Avira free antivirus installed, sorry if I mistakenly said AVG in a past post. Also, I have always used IE as my prefered default.
What do you say, any other options available if you meant Avira or is there some other AV that will work around Avira before I delete it if that's my only option?... Thanks again for your help. HJ
Old 06-29-2017, 09:44 AM   #8
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

Your XP is basically unprotected anyway, but I didn't say to delete Avira, only possible remnants of AVG which can cause problems. Now click on your live link (Go to Messages) and create an outlook.com account. Once done, see if your missing messages are there.

Old 07-02-2017, 12:20 PM   #9
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Your XP is basically unprotected anyway, but I didn't say to delete Avira, only possible remnants of AVG which can cause problems. Now click on your live link (Go to Messages) and create an outlook.com account. Once done, see if your missing messages are there.
Corday, I tried to delete the remnants of AVG in Add/Remove but nothing about AVG was there to delete. So next I went to Search Files and Folders and there was a long list of AVG remnants there. I tried to delete them all but they would not delete at all for some reason. How can I get them deleted? Thanks, HJ
Old 07-02-2017, 12:53 PM   #10
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Run the AVG Remover to fully remove AVG, then restart and try it again.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:41 PM   #11
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
Run the AVG Remover to fully remove AVG, then restart and try it again.

spunk.funk, thanks , I did what you said with AVG Remover. It said at the top that there were no active AVG products on my system, and at the bottom it said "Exit" and "Run Anyway".
I clicked the "Run Anyway" to double check if it cleared all items, but checking back to the Search/Files and Folders the list had grown to 23 items.
Before I ran AVG Remover I had checked on Search/ Files and Folders and had 11 items on the list to remove but after AVG Remover it grew to 23.
When trying to delete the items I got this message: "Cannot delete avgntflt. Access is denied". HJ
Old 07-04-2017, 01:51 PM   #12
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc753659.aspx
ALSO: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc753024.aspx
OR: Try this app. https://www.sysnative.com/forums/win...8-7-vista.html
Do not try to use Unblocker.

Old 07-04-2017, 11:06 PM   #13
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

First Empty the Recycle Bink, then do a Search for the AVG files, When you Search for the AVG files, take note of what directory and file they reside in, then manually browse to that location. If those directories or files are not there, then they have already been deleted, and search is just retaining the information in cache
Old 07-10-2017, 08:21 AM   #14
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
First Empty the Recycle Bink, then do a Search for the AVG files, When you Search for the AVG files, take note of what directory and file they reside in, then manually browse to that location. If those directories or files are not there, then they have already been deleted, and search is just retaining the information in cache
s.f, emptied the Recycle Bin, did Search>Files and Folders and removed most of the AVG files there but 9 remaining are listed in Program Files and I hesitated deleted them because of what appeared to me as a connection to Avira and with avgntflt C:WINDOWS/system32/drivers. What do you recomend I do now? Thanks. HJ
Old 07-10-2017, 08:26 AM   #15
Registered Member

My System

Corday, tried all 3 links, the first 2 didn't include XP Sp3 and the Web page would not connect for the last one. what should I do now? Thanks. HJ
Old 07-10-2017, 11:22 AM   #16
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP?

Old 07-14-2017, 10:54 AM   #17
Registered Member

My System

Corday, there are 9 AVG files remaining listed in Program Files, I hesitated to delete them because of what appears to be a connection to Avira and with avgntflt C:WINDOWS/system32/drivers. Should I delete them too (if possible) before I try your above link? Thanks. HJ
Old 07-14-2017, 12:15 PM   #18
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Run the AVG remover again, Run Anyways, and it should remove anything to do with AVG. Avira and AVG are different products and should have separate files.
Old 07-14-2017, 12:19 PM   #19
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

Don't delete. They are part of Avira. After the other deletions, see if Avira still can do an AV scan.

Old 08-03-2017, 03:33 PM   #20
Registered Member

OS: XP[HP]32SP[23] AOS 5.0.1 Past: W2KSSP4 W2KW W98SE Slackware Ubuntu SUSE DOS UNIX Z/OS PDP-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Jon View Post
The message below came in my XP Hotmail emails
Are you sure that is a legit email - I assume you just pasted it into post and are using outlook.com web based email. Did you open instagram.com and signin WITHOUT using a link?

The link in the email which is not a valid link and makes me think this is a phishing / tracking email.
Closed Thread