Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Emachines T2824

This is a discussion on Emachines T2824 within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Does this indicate the built in graphics card is burnt out? It always goes to a graphical glitch after it

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 11:21 PM   #1
Computer Wizard?

My System

Does this indicate the built in graphics card is burnt out? It always goes to a graphical glitch after it sits for a random amount of time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1486883919972-1526422907_1486883956674.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	301137  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2017, 06:15 AM   #2
Computer Wizard?

My System

I will try to keep this as short as I can and as descriptive as possible for the troubleshooting I went through. Basically I reset the bios to default with a few minor tweaks like disabling the nonexistant floppy drive and setting the video card to the built in one and many other things that did nothing. I have noticed that the bios can end up having this graphical malfunction I guess I will call it. So this is what is making me believe it has to be the video card or the processor. As the owner decided to change the clock frequency higher than default in the bios which I know may cause damage to the cpu possibly causing graphical malfunctions to occur. I have also tried the ram sticks one in at a time and the same thing happens every time no matter what I do. If I had a PCI video card to test in it I would. But unfortunately I do not have a functioning one. And the last thing I noticed is that there is a capacitor close to the cpu that has a slight bulge. I have researched this and seen a few different places that seems to have the same problem. But there wasn't anything in the pages to solve the issue that I could see. So if there is any insight that someone could be able to possibly solve the issues I would be very grateful.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:41 AM   #3
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

The bulge in capacitor is all you need to say the board is the problem. That pc could be 13 years old and rather a miracle to be working yet to begin with. E-Machines were known for probably the poorest quality psu kn own to man onboard and that could also cause the issue so if you really want to work on this pc, that is where I would start because normally when those psus go, they take out most of the components in a cloud of smoke.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2017, 11:00 AM   #4
Computer Wizard?

My System

I was possibly thinking the PSU as well. But he said he put in a different one. As I believe that emachines don't have 300watt rosewill or whatever that type of powersupply is.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:03 PM   #5
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

It is not so much a different one but how long ago with these pcs.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:38 PM   #6
Computer Wizard?

My System

When I was working on it last night. Basically I could keep it running in bios for the most part with no graphical issues. Just it is always giving a white screen just after it says setup is starting or something you know just before the menu to give you the option to install. I am going to be troubleshooting it further later today to see what else I can figure out. I know it is an old tower but they just seem set on getting it going. I really think I may just look for a new tower for them on ebay and tell them it would be the best option.
Old 02-12-2017, 01:06 PM   #7
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

I could not agree more.

Old 02-13-2017, 01:22 PM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

kicking a dead horse won't make it work. It's Better to cut theirlosses and get a new/used computer tower instead
Old 02-13-2017, 10:01 PM   #9
Computer Wizard?

My System

Well I have a friend that has a video card I was going to try that to see if it would work. If not it isn't a big deal as a tower would cost less than $100.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:59 AM   #10
Elite Commander

My System

Send a message via MSN to VividProfessional

if it has a bad cap i would and truthfully treat it as a hazard, if the cap blows it could cause it to burst etc and very small chance but could cause a fire as well.

burst / bludging cap - device that is on is written off as far as I am concerned
Closed Thread