Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Editing company-locked screen saver settings in registry - help!

This is a discussion on Editing company-locked screen saver settings in registry - help! within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. So my company laptop keeps resetting my screen saver settings in the registry to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Control Panel\Desktop: ScreenSaveIsSecure: 1 (requires a

Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 08:36 AM   #1
Registered Member

So my company laptop keeps resetting my screen saver settings in the registry to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Control Panel\Desktop:

ScreenSaveIsSecure: 1 (requires a password to exit ssaver)
ScreenSaveTimeout: 1800

I keep changing these to 0,120, respectively, but whenever I restart something is setting them back to their original value. Is there a way to stop whatever that program is?

I'm running:

XP Pro Version 2002
SP3

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2009, 09:55 AM   #2
BSY

Hi there,

More likely then not your company has a GPO placed on the OU level in Active Directory. OU policies will always trump local ones and this is the reason the settings are being reverted back.

LSDOU

Local, Site, Domain, Organizational Unit... Local Policies (and settings) are on the bottom of the food chain. If theres is a more secure or specific policy set on a level above local, the local one will always be overwritten.

Hope this makes sense.. 9hrs into my shift and the coffee maker died
Old 11-06-2009, 10:30 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSY View Post
Hi there,

More likely then not your company has a GPO placed on the OU level in Active Directory. OU policies will always trump local ones and this is the reason the settings are being reverted back.

LSDOU

Local, Site, Domain, Organizational Unit... Local Policies (and settings) are on the bottom of the food chain. If theres is a more secure or specific policy set on a level above local, the local one will always be overwritten.

Hope this makes sense.. 9hrs into my shift and the coffee maker died
Thanks BSY - Is there a way I can modify that GPO? What is a GPO? Also where is the active directory?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2009, 10:34 AM   #4
Registered Member

Also, there are screensavetimeout and screensaverissecure keys in the HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\CONTROL PANEL\DESKTOP folder that don't appear to affect anything.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:10 AM   #5
BSY

A GPO is a "Group Policy Object".

Group Policies are used by Administrators to centrally manage Users and Computers. Basically they make a change on a server and it applies to all workstations, instead of them going to them one by one.

Active Directory is located in the "Administrative Tools" add-on. This package normally comes within a Windows Server 2003 install CD and it might even be included in the XP Cd.. I forget, so don't quote me on it.

Regardless. In order to create/change/delete policies on a Domain Controller (the servers that manage computer/user accounts etc.), you need Admin right's on that server. It's also a safe bet to assume that even your local IT (end user support) or whatever you may call them don't have full admin rights to those servers since one pissed employee messing with the server could technically bring the network down. So unless you buy your Network Administrator a vacation to Aruba and a case of Jack Daniels, you're pretty much out of luck on this one. Although if they are nice people, they might change this setting for you if you have good reason for it.

Use caution though saying "it's annoying" to the admin may or may not cause them to get irritated

Sorry for the walls of txt. What I'm trying to get across is simply, no you will not be able to change this yourself. Just that writing alot of stuff (even if its nonsense) helps the day go by when you're reading through 100 pages of logs
Old 11-06-2009, 11:21 AM   #6
Registered Member

Hehe thanks for the info BSY! I appreciated the detailed response and I think updating the screen saver settings is not worth a case of Jack Daniels...
Closed Thread