Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

DVD-R now crash the pc but DVD+R fine!

This is a discussion on DVD-R now crash the pc but DVD+R fine! within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi all, I've had this problem for some months now, and I can't seem to fix it despite my best

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 11:56 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi all, I've had this problem for some months now, and I can't seem to fix it despite my best efforts. When I try and write a dvd-r the computer freezes solid, and I have to restart. I've tried different software, a different drive, and changing the ram. I've also reinstalled a hard disk image to where everything was working - all to no avail. By chance I found out this weekend though that it will write to dvd+r disks with no problem (I've never used them before). Oh yes, if I use my video editing software to write my video to dvd-r that appears to be working okay. I hoped somebody somewhere might be able to glean something from the disparity between dvd+r and dvd-r disks- its certainly got me beat. I'm using xp home edition, service pack 3, the drive is an LG supermulti, I have 4 GBs of ram fitted and its an AMD Phenom II 3.4 quad core cpu. Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2012, 02:47 PM   #2
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi and welcome to TSF what did you use to write to the dvd-r

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:48 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeten View Post
Hi and welcome to TSF what did you use to write to the dvd-r

Hi. Thanks. I've been using Nero, version 8 I think. When this problem started I tried different software but got the same result. I also went back to an early hard disk image where I knew Nero had worked fine - but when I loaded it on to the partition, it crashed exactly the same way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2012, 02:00 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

What is the model # of your LG Multi burner? What is the brand of blank discs you are using? What are burning? Data Discs, Music discs, or Movie discs? If Movie discs, what is the format of the file you are burning? (ex) DVD Format, AVI, MPEG, etc? You can try updating the firmware to a newer version to be able to accept different brands of media.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:26 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
What is the model # of your LG Multi burner?

I believe the LG is the GH24NS70 or similar. I tried two, almost the same model, but slightly different model numbers, with identical results. I looked at the firmware issue the advice on the site was to stick with what I had.

Mostly I burn my photos or back-up the hard drive to dvd, or back up family video imagery, that kind of thing. The thing is, it crashes just the same if I simulate the burn. I've tried various dvd-r brands, I mostly use Verbatim. The dvd+r disk that burned successfully are Fuji.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:17 AM   #6
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi have you tried removing the upper and lower filters Your CD drive or DVD drive is missing or is not recognized by Windows or other programs

Old 09-14-2012, 01:50 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeten View Post

Thanks Joeten, I have tried that. But.....

Breaking news!

Last night I tried backing up my hard drive on to 4 dvd+r disks and the pc froze - exactly the way it has been doing with dvd-r disks. :(

Now my dvd drive is SATA so I decided to try bypassing the SATA port and using the PCI port by using my recently purchased PCI-SATA adaptor. I've tried it before and it sometimes produces disk errors, but it never causes the freeze/crash that happens in the nomal way.

Well all 4 disks (dvd-r) were written with no errors and no crashes, so does this suggest that my problem is a SATA issue?
Old 09-14-2012, 08:55 AM   #8
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Do you have other sata ports you can use

Old 09-14-2012, 12:06 PM   #9
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Have you tried changing the SATA data cable?
Closed Thread