Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

drive scrubber - a tale of woe

This is a discussion on drive scrubber - a tale of woe within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Greetings from Newfoundland,Canada. I used drive scrubber, well,to scrub the hard drive. Apparently I scrubbed windows xp as well. There

Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 03:47 PM   #1
Registered Member

Greetings from Newfoundland,Canada. I used drive scrubber, well,to scrub the hard drive. Apparently I scrubbed windows xp as well. There is absolutely nothing on the hd. No operating system or files or anything else. Please bear with me as I am not what you would call computer literate. I accessed the BIOS(a very scary place) and told the computer to boot from the cd rom. The computer read the CD and downloaded files to the hd but I cannot access them. I keep getting PXE-MOF or PXE ROM messages. All I want is my xp back on my computer. I checked cables, bought another hard drive(which the computer recognizes because I saw in the BIOS). To have a computer tech reformat and install windows xp would cost me $80, more than the computer is worth. Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2016, 04:11 PM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Hi and Welcome to TSF!

If you wish to reinstall Windows XP on the new drive, then you will need to have the Windows XP install CD.

When booting to Windows XP installation, you'll need to format the hard drive to NTFS.
Old 05-29-2016, 06:07 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

As you found out, Drive Scrubber, wipes the drive of all information So It Can NEVER Be Recovered, including the Windows XP OS.
You did the right thing by changing the boot order to CD Rom as first boot device.
When you boot off of the XP CD it loads "drivers" these are not accessible but used to aid in installing XP. After the Driver install, and you pressing F8 to continue, it will search for previous versions of Windows and other partitions. It will ask Where to Install Windows and show you what it found. The scrubber probably wiped all partitions, so the drive is now probably Unallocated Space. Now you have to Create a partition by pressing C. keep it at the default size and go next. Now you can choose Format NTFS (Quick) This formats the Partition you created and then it will start to install Windows XP.
If you get confused or have any other questions, post back.
In the future, don't use any apps you are not familiar with unless you check in with us first.
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2016, 02:49 PM   #4
Registered Member

Thank you MasterChief and Spunk Funk. I will give it a try and post what happens
Closed Thread