Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Download Managers have an XP Problem

This is a discussion on Download Managers have an XP Problem within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. XP Pro_SP3 I have several download managers and they all have the same problem. The simplest direct linked files fail

Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2019, 03:22 PM   #1
Registered Member

XP Pro_SP3

I have several download managers and they all have the same problem. The simplest
direct linked files fail to start. For some reason, if a link is buried behind a series of
redirects the same managers have no trouble starting a download.

Internet Download Manager or IDM displays an error message. (See attached image.)
The "Yes" button is linked to this document:

Internet Download Manager Integration guide for Firefox

I was not surprised when the recommended update and Registry hack failed to correct
the problem, but I had to try.

After a few Google searches I can't find anything useful. I know XP is an old system,
but I keep thinking there must be a fix for this problem. Any suggestions would be
appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Error Message.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	324318  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2019, 06:54 PM   #2
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

I've never seen the need to use a download manager. I just download what I want directly from the provided link.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:06 PM   #3
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

Good point Bassfisher absolutely no need for download manager in any version of Windows and they mostly caused issues anyway and served no good purpose.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2019, 06:16 AM   #4
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

That TLS update is four years old now, of course it won't work with all download sources of today. Don't be surprised if there truly is no fix for this. While I'm a heavy user of download managers with zero problems whatsoever, especially IDM, since the days of Orbit before it evolved into malware, I agree with the others that you should just try to use the native downloader of your browser. Some downloaders out there are not worth the trouble and risk (I'm looking at you, YTD)!
Old 09-05-2019, 01:17 PM   #5
Registered Member

I assumed other XP users had similar download manager problems. After several searches
I found nothing. Not sure what that means. I suppose my problem with XP is somewhat
unique.

My home office desktop was built by me. I've got a firewall and few malware apps, but my
operating system runs in a virtual environment. That means an infected system can be
dumped and replaced in a few minutes.

Download managers have features not available with very simple browser applets. Every
week I download new builds of browsers in development. The servers are not reliable.
Managers can retry stalled connections, download files sequentially, schedule downloads,
sleep, hiberate, or shutdown your computer, etc.

The obvious solution is a browser with a full feature integrated manager. (I don't mean a
browser extension or add-on.) Slimjet has an applet that can resume downloads, but it's not
a "real" manager.

https://www.slimjet.com/en/fast-inte...ad-manager.php

Worldwide there must be thousands of obscure browsers. Has anyone created a browser with
a full feature manager?
Closed Thread