Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Do's and Dont's --I just gotta know!

This is a discussion on Do's and Dont's --I just gotta know! within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a few questions that might be just plain dumb, but I just gotta know and this I believe

Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 09:28 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have a few questions that might be just plain dumb, but I just gotta know and this I believe is the place that I'll get the facts from people who know what they are talking about.

1. Some people have told me it is better to shut your computer down only at night and leave it on durring the day. That it's not good to turn it on then off multiple times per day. Others have disagreed. So what is the proper care of a computer, does it really matter?

2. When you put a computer into Hibernate or standby does it or does it not use less electricity than keeping the computer on?

3. the fan on my computer seems to run constantly and we just cleaned it out -- is that bad? how do I know if my computer is too hot?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2007, 09:32 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

NO it really does not matter unless you have a bad/underpowered psu, it does use less then leaving it on,download speed fan from my sig and post your temps and voltages here
Old 09-10-2007, 09:41 PM   #3

hello & welcom to TSF ,

to answer your questions

1 yes it is better to leave your pc on as long as possible for you will be saving your hard drive because when it starts the hard drive has to spin up 7200 rpm each time you start it to wich is hard on the motor , i leave my pc on at all times unless there is a storm brewing !!!

2 Pc will go into power saving mode and it will save on electricity rather than leaving it on when its in Hibernate or standby.

3 okay , now you need to go to (https://www.cpuid.com ) and get the program called PC Wizard 2007 , this program will give you all kinds of info about your pc
your pc should be at the temps of 40 degress celcius you will be able to find that out with this program and the other temps and post them back here for further help

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2007, 09:45 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Mike when the system goes idle the hard drive turns off, and dont you think 3 hours of spinning is worse for it then starting once or twice?
Old 09-10-2007, 09:51 PM   #5
Registered Member

oh boy! I'm in trouble I think

IT SAYS 144 DEGREES!
Old 09-10-2007, 09:52 PM   #6

well from what i have been told and taught that the constant jolt of starting a pc is harder then it at an idle spin for when a hard drive is not in use it slows down some and when it is taken back into use it returns to normal speeds for this is part of the designs of most hard drives

i may have been told and taught wrong but i have used this theory for about 8 to 9 yrs and on one of my pc's i still have the same hdd others have jst died

but there is theories that differ for every thing in this world
Old 09-10-2007, 09:54 PM   #7

is that in ferenheight or celcius
Old 09-10-2007, 09:55 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

My System

I actually had a pc from like 6-7 years ago and the hard drive still works, i turned it off at any opp. but i did give it to a friend and they killed it (put a very new card in without a new psu)
Old 09-10-2007, 09:56 PM   #9
Registered Member

Celcius!
Old 09-10-2007, 10:00 PM   #10

right
but i bet it jst depends on the hdd and the teacher

the one that i have is running 2000 pro / can not upgrade to xp but it still runs like a top
it is a dektop pro from hp
it has out lasted the video cards/ sound cards and some stick of ram /memory / just wants to stay alive !!
Old 09-10-2007, 10:00 PM   #11
TSF Enthusiast

My System

oh thats a miss reading your computer would be gone at that temp, if it does not break any type of warrety clean out any type of dust in the computer with compressed air.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:01 PM   #12

good ness

that is way to hot , exstreamly to hot , you need to check and see if the heat sink is pluged with dust , you need to open the case to see that !!!
Old 09-10-2007, 10:06 PM   #13

that was what i was going to ask

how was it still running well 1 g0t Own3d i am going to let you have this one for i have work in the morning and it is late here in Michigan

good luck to the both of ya's and may the pc god be with you

Mike
Old 09-10-2007, 10:16 PM   #14
Registered Member

Well, I don't know if the temp is wrong or not I used PC Wizard because it was already on my computer. I couldn't get to speedfan, why I don't know my computer is sorta slow at times besides I have dial-up.

But my husband did just vacuum out the dust a couple nights ago when I was fixing the drivers on another thread. I don't know how to clean the heat sink, I'll need you to walk me through that one. I am somewhat afraid of whats inside that big grey box...I probably could do it if I had good instructions, I did used to fix my own car, well I tried anyway
Old 09-10-2007, 10:42 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2020learnin View Post
well from what i have been told and taught that the constant jolt of starting a pc is harder then it at an idle spin for when a hard drive is not in use it slows down some and when it is taken back into use it returns to normal speeds for this is part of the designs of most hard drives

i may have been told and taught wrong but i have used this theory for about 8 to 9 yrs and on one of my pc's i still have the same hdd others have jst died

but there is theories that differ for every thing in this world
I was taught that too, when u turn the computer on, you have a small power surge that can damage and/or cause the lifespan of some of your hardware to decrease. When the computer is constantly on and idling,the motor is going one speed as when you boot your computer on, it is going full tilt boogie, which puts strain on the hdd motor. I may be wrong, but that is what I was taught at tech school.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:47 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusannaKB View Post
Well, I don't know if the temp is wrong or not I used PC Wizard because it was already on my computer. I couldn't get to speedfan, why I don't know my computer is sorta slow at times besides I have dial-up.

But my husband did just vacuum out the dust a couple nights ago when I was fixing the drivers on another thread. I don't know how to clean the heat sink, I'll need you to walk me through that one. I am somewhat afraid of whats inside that big grey box...I probably could do it if I had good instructions, I did used to fix my own car, well I tried anyway
You shouldn't be afraid of computers and their insides, it really isn't hard to do the hardware part. The software part is the real bugger! I'll try and find a step by step guide to what you're looking for.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:52 PM   #17
Registered Member

Thank you Adam 30457 for your help,

do you happen to know what a computer does when you put it in standby, what is on and what is off? does it really save on electricity etc.?
Old 09-10-2007, 11:06 PM   #18

If my knowledge is correct, stand by puts the computer into a low usage state and shut down all non-vital stuff, like the hard drive and things along that line. Basically, stand by does indeed save electricity and your work, because it comes on when you hit the power button and it shuts down anything that the computer doesn't need to stay running. I hope this help and if I am wrong, no one hesitate to correct me as I hate to give wrong advice, especially in this category.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:29 AM   #19
Registered Member

Thanks, that helps.

Now I just need to get it straight, is it better to shut off my computer three or four times per day or just once at night?

Also I gotta get this PC's "fever" down!
Old 09-11-2007, 07:32 AM   #20
Registered Member

This is what PC Wizard said this morning:

Monitoring Chip : Abit Guru 2005
Voltage CPU : 1.66 V
Chassis Fan : 8640 rpm
Processor Fan : 8640 rpm
Power/Aux Fan : 8640 rpm
Fan #3 : 8640 rpm
Processor Temperature : 144 C
Mainboard Temperature : 144 C
Power/Aux Temperature : 144 C