Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Does CHKDSK actually helps?

This is a discussion on Does CHKDSK actually helps? within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello Techies, Well , i have been figuring out this thing for quite a long time, so i thought of

Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 03:24 AM   #1

Hello Techies,

Well , i have been figuring out this thing for quite a long time, so i thought of sharing and posting it. As compared to FAT32 Partition on a boot drive, whenever the computer hangs or restarts in the middle it starts for CHKDSK utility automatically and find some errors and fixes them too. But this is not the same in the case of NTFS partition. Whenever the same problem happens we have to manually run CHKDSK command from DOS and it also reports that the drive has some errors and needs to be scheduled in boot operation mode to fix the errors and at the time of BOOT CHKDSK it does not show any errors but while logging back in windows mode it shows there are some errors in windows, please run CHKDSK to fix

Anyway i wanted to ask that is it really necessary to run CHKDSK everytime your computer restarts in the middle of some work and does it really help in saving the data from operating system corruption.

Please Reply !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2009, 04:35 AM   #2

Personally i have allways just Pressed "any key" and dodged that bullet.
im having troubles with my computer at the moment but i highly doubt that its becuase i neglected to do all those check disks when it has asked me to.

But then again i do run them once or twice a month when im bored.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:12 AM   #3
Troubled

OS: Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot, Windows 7 Starter SP1 (netbook)

My System

I find it is a good idea too, just in case. If your computer is running well, it shouldnt happen too much anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2009, 09:00 PM   #4

I run chkdsk every once in a while, to make sure of the consistency of my OS.
It's not completely useless. Sometimes it'll recover orphaned files (though it's a bit of a complex task to sort them out). Other times it'll cleanup unused indexes (I'm assuming those are just remnants temporary files - supposedly the file system has a lot of built-in redundancy, or sometimes too much). My only beef with the Microsoft designers is the results of chkdsk are not easily visible to a non-knowledgeable user. You have to look in the event viewer, application log, for winlogon events. If you're running chkdsk with the f flag on another drive (not c: )while windows is running and it finds errors and fixes them, you have to look for chkdsk events (it won't log if no errors are found).
I think it runs regardless of the file system if there was an unexpected shutdown (well, most of the time). The slight advantage of FAT32 is at the end, it continues loading Windows, whereas with NTFS (if it's C: that's being checked), it'll reboot.
There is one caveat and that is if your hard drive is starting to fail (physically), you'll start getting lots of errors, and chkdsk might do more damage than good (usually you'll know when NOT to run it). At that stage, just salvage what you can and get a new drive.
One last beef: I often run chkdsk on attached drives, and sometimes it says nothing, and sometimes it says no errors were found. When it says nothing, should I assume everything is fine? I could never find documentation on that on the Microsoft site.
Closed Thread