Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

dns issue

This is a discussion on dns issue within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello everyone. I hope everyone is well? Ok,here is my problem. When I boot up the desktop and once everthing

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 12:24 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello everyone. I hope everyone is well?
Ok,here is my problem. When I boot up the desktop and once everthing is loaded and then I click on my web browser Opera or Chrome,the response is DNS address could not be found. I think I caused this defect when I was rushing to get off to work. I turned my desktop off via START->TURN OFF->TURN OFF. Well I thought I did. My desktop started to restart,so I switched the desktop off by mains whilst it was loading up,because I didn't have time to wait for it load as I was falling behind to get work.
I will be most grateful if any of yourselves could steer me in the right direction to repair the DNS,perhaps via the XP disk.

Thanks
Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2017, 12:58 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

Lets take a peek at your network environment:

First:

Power Cycle everything . . Turn off the Modem, router and all pc's . . turn on the Modem and wait a few minutes for the lights to stabilize . . then turn on the router, then one pc at a time. See if you connect to the internet.

Then: check your browser's settings, remove any proxy settings if found, here's how

Then:

with the pc connected to the router, Click on Start . . Run . . type CMD

At the > prompt type or copy and paste the following command:

ipconfig/all > 0 & notepad 0

and press enter.

Come back here and Paste the results in a message.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB drive, or a CD-R disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

Old 04-28-2017, 03:19 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for replying Rich. I'm using my Galaxy Core phone to reply. I could only do a photo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170428_101944_1493374749487.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	305433  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2017, 03:33 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

You should have a little networking icon in the taskbar by the clock (see attached) It should not have a red X over it.
IP config log shows you are connected. As Stated, Power Cycle your Router and Modem (ie) unplug them wait a few seconds and plug them in. Wait 5 minutes and try it again.
If you still have problems try this.
Go to Start/Run and type ncpa.cpl and press enter
In Network Connections, right click the Local Area Connection and choose Diagnose.
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2017, 04:05 PM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

Your pc is connected to the router . .

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt:

Type or Copy and Paste the following" and press enter

echo > 0 & PING 192.168.0.1 >> 0 & PING 216.58.199.174 >> 0 & PING google.com >> 0 & tracert google.com >> 0 & echo [/php] >> 0 & notepad 0

That can take a few minutes to complete, come back and past the result in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

Old 04-28-2017, 05:02 PM   #6
Networking Team |Tech

Hi there,

Try flushing the DNS and see if that helps out. Open up the command prompt and type in the following command = ipconfig /flushdns

If this command doesn't resolve the issue, try resetting the TCP/IP settings = Reset TCP/IP or Internet Protocol in Windows 10/8/7

Old 04-30-2017, 03:29 AM   #7
Registered Member

Ok gents,I assume you are all fellas,I would like to thankyou all for your assistance. I assume the modem became faulty. I decided to give the Virgin Media Superhub 3 another go at installing. I didn't know I had to call VM to activate it,that's why my first attempt didn't work.....ooops.
thanks again
Paul
Old 04-30-2017, 07:23 AM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

Glad you got it sorted

Closed Thread