Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Display/VNC doesn't work but file/service sharing works fine

This is a discussion on Display/VNC doesn't work but file/service sharing works fine within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Recently I'm getting some trouble with my home server and I thought I'll ask here before troubleshooting it myself (a

Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 05:15 AM   #1
Registered Member

Recently I'm getting some trouble with my home server and I thought I'll ask here before troubleshooting it myself (a bit short on time).

I didn't notice it for some time because it is fully automated and works by shared resources and telnet. I noticed it when I got back home and... nothing :D (lights, ventilation and many more are connected to it).

When I tried to use VNC it failed. When I went to the box and checked display there was no BSOD, just black screen, like when PC is connected to power but turned off. After restart everything worked fine. I set up some logging and dumps in case of error / bsod and left it be.

After one day I tried to use VNC and it failed, display was dead too. Services and shares worked FINE tho. Power off / restart buttons DIDN'T work, I had to hold off 4 sec.

After restart - logs clean, no dumps, main suspect VGA card.
What do you think, did you ever encountered anything similar? What can be failing? Most likely OS or hardware error?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2010, 08:05 AM   #2
Registered Member

After some observation VGA is fine, no power problems either. It looks like its a mobo problem (noticed wrong system time). I'll sit through post next time I restart it and reset bios.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:35 AM   #3
Registered Member

Problem tracked down to a faulty task scheduler job running on administrator account and crashing some system processes. I turned off task scheduler service and left server be (woke up some automatic repair scripts too but they found nothing). If it works fine tomorrow problem is fixed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2010, 02:30 AM   #4
Registered Member

Yep, deleting that scheduler job fixed it.
Closed Thread