Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Display Properties/Settings/Screen Resolution

This is a discussion on Display Properties/Settings/Screen Resolution within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. The settings for my monitor, under properties/Display Properties/Settings/Screen Resolution was changed so badly that the monitor now flashes an error

Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 11:07 PM   #1

Grin

The settings for my monitor, under properties/Display Properties/Settings/Screen Resolution was changed so badly that the monitor now flashes an error notice and I cannot access anything except to hard boot the computer off and try to re-enter the BIOS/Delete at startup...

How can I reset the screen resolution/settings on display properties when I am not able to access the main screen to bring up the display properties?

Thanks for any help anyone can give!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2008, 11:23 PM   #2

To change your display back to its original configuration, you need to reboot in Safe Mode. To boot in Safe Mode and reset the display, follow the steps below:

While your computer is booting, follow the appropriate instructions for your version of Windows:

In Windows 2000 and XP, when the Power On Self Test is complete (after the first time you hear the computer beep), press and hold the F8 key.
In Windows 98 and Me, when the Power On Self Test is complete (after the first time you hear the computer beep), press and hold the Ctrl key.
In Windows 95, press and hold the F8 key after "Starting Windows 95" appears on a black background.

Select the option to boot in Safe Mode.

Once in Safe Mode, go to the display settings by right-clicking the desktop and then clicking the Settings tab. Then you can change the display settings back to the original configuration.

To restore the correct settings, shut down and restart the computer by clicking Start and selecting Shut Down, then Restart, then OK.

THIS IS TAKEN FROM https://kb.iu.edu/data/agjg.html
Old 10-22-2008, 11:49 PM   #3

Confused

F8 is not giving me the option to start up in safe mode.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2008, 12:10 AM   #4

Try these methods:

Windows XP

If Windows XP is the only operating system installed on your computer, booting into Safe Mode with these instructions.

* If the computer is running, shut down Windows, and then turn off the power
* Wait 30 seconds, and then turn the computer on.
* Start tapping the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Options Menu appears. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. To resolve this, restart the computer and try again.
* Ensure that the Safe mode option is selected.
* Press Enter. The computer then begins to start in Safe mode.
* When you are finished with all troubleshooting, close all programs and restart the computer as you normally would.

To use the System Configuration Utility method

* Close all open programs.
* Click Start, Run and type MSCONFIG in the box and click OK
* The System Configuration Utility appears, On the BOOT.INI tab, Check the "/SAFEBOOT" option, and then click OK and Restart your computer when prompted.
* The computer restarts in Safe mode.
* Perform the troubleshooting steps for which you are using Safe Mode.
When you are finished with troubleshooting in Safe mode, open MSCONFIG again, on the BOOT.INI tab, uncheck "/SAFEBOOT" and click OK to restart your computer

Tapping F8 as suggested by CA_Tone has always worked for me, but these two methods were found by Googling "how to boot into Safe Mode in Windows XP." I've never tried the second method, but perhaps it'll work for you.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:53 AM   #5

Roll Eyes

As I'm starting up and hit F8, it gives me 3 options, none of which are "Safe Mode." Is there any other way to arrive at Safe Mode?

Keep in mind that once it gets going, it just gives me an error about unsupportable mode for the sreen resolution settings

Thanks!
Old 10-23-2008, 01:07 AM   #6

Did you read the second half of my last post? If so, did you try the suggestion?
Old 10-23-2008, 01:12 AM   #7

Smile

Yes sir,

But I am not able to get anything to show up on my screen except for a large blinking error message.

I'm not able to get to "start" and "run." The only thing I can access is the BIOS section, and I can't find safe mode anywhere on there...
Closed Thread