Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Display Issues.

This is a discussion on Display Issues. within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. This is a bit of a long story, so bear with me here. Quite a while ago, I went through

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 06:07 AM   #1

This is a bit of a long story, so bear with me here.

Quite a while ago, I went through deleting files from my computer. I accidentally deleted something that was obviously crucial, because the next time I tried to start Windows, it was missing a file. (I can't recal what file that was).

I tried to install Vista, and it did work, however the display was appalling. I couldn't get it beyond 16-bit 640x480.

After a while, it said it wasn't registered, which confused me. It might have something to do with the fact that the computer doesn't have access to the internet. So I managed to dig out my XP disc and install that instead. I had exactly the same display issues as I did with Vista.

I checked the troubleshooting, and it told me to do things that I couldn't do because buttons were greyed out. In the end, I managed to fiddle with it to give it a higher res, only with 8-bit colours instead.

I restarted it again, and the Windows start-up screen worked, but the Windows didn't. I just get a blank screen.

I can probably install XP again. But I know I'll have the same display issue as I did before. It's frustrating because I know the computer is capable of decent graphics.

So, when I do install XP again, how do I improve the display? It is a Dell desktop computer, with a Dell monitor. Any more specs needed, I can probably summon up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2009, 06:09 AM   #2
Registered Member

OS: XP home/pro Vista home Ubuntu xbuntu kebuntu edubuntu

have you tried installing the drivers to you videocard
Old 04-16-2009, 06:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgrimm9 View Post
have you tried installing the drivers to you videocard
I don't know if I have that disc. :(

Will I have to buy a new graphics card?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2009, 06:20 AM   #4
Registered Member

OS: XP home/pro Vista home Ubuntu xbuntu kebuntu edubuntu

no just need to go to the manufactures website and look up the model number of your pc and they should have the drivers on the support page. so if you own a dell you need to go to dell.com hp or compaq hp.com or compaq.com so forth. you can download a program driver finder program. there are a few free ones but are hard to come by. if you know what graphics card you have you can go to there website and download the drivers
Old 04-16-2009, 06:35 AM   #5

OK, I've downloaded a Video driver from the Dell website, and now I'm re-installing XP. Hopefully when I put the two together I might have a computer that works.
Closed Thread