Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Display does not fill entire screen

This is a discussion on Display does not fill entire screen within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Wife has a VERY old Compaq 2300 XP laptop (yes, I know; I should trash it and get her a

Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 05:10 AM   #1
Registered Member

Wife has a VERY old Compaq 2300 XP laptop (yes, I know; I should trash it and get her a tablet). Today when she turned it on, the Desktop and any software, does not fill the screen. Everything is there, nothing disappears off screen; it just no longer fills the entire screen. I've tried changing resolutions, increasing the font size, etc., but these do nothing to fix the problem. And I can find no graphics property (right click empty area on screen) that deals with scaling. It looks like something has scaled the video back to ~75%. Is there a setting that will stretch it out both horizontally and vertically? If so, where is it?

BTW, I've already checked Desktop properties, and it's already set to "Stretch".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2016, 12:31 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Right click a blank area on the desktop and choose Properties. Go to the Settings tab and move the slider to the right for Screen Resolution.
If you cannot move the slider, then download the display driver for your computer. Drivers & Software - HP Support Center.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	maxresdefault.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	284641  

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
G73SW screen replacement - black screen through BIOS and outside of NVidia drivers.
Hello all. I recently irreparably damaged the display for my G73SW-3DE. For information, it uses a 120Hz LED 3D 1920x1080 display through an NVidia GTX460M. The first replacement I ordered had a mistake on the sellers' side, it was the same screen model but part of the code on the back...
sykesg73 Laptop Support 2 12-01-2014 07:23 AM
[SOLVED] Display fades to grey - screen or card?
This happened a few days ago. Screen pauses and starts getting brighter grey until the screen is washed out in this grey matted (kind of checkered) almost 3D looking display. Its not uniform across the whole screen area. Sometimes it will kick back to normal for a few minutes, sometimes...
Cloudyburst Other Hardware Support 7 02-12-2013 06:59 AM
Just repalced laptop screen. Display still not working.
Ok, so my screen was malfunctioning. It had a distorted disaplay while booting and in BIOS, and a distorted black screen after windows started. I know that sounds confusing, but here's a video: What happened? - YouTube I also connected it to an external monitor and that worked fine. So I...
oawole Laptop Support 3 12-01-2012 04:02 PM
[SOLVED] No display on HDMI before login screen
Hey guys! It has been a really...really.... really long time since I posted a thread on here and since you guys have helped me in the past a lot, I decided to come back with only one issue. I am not used to you guys awesomely new layout and I am not quite sure what category I should properly post...
JKDMind Other Hardware Support 7 05-11-2012 11:04 AM
bizarre screen display issue
I have an Acer Aspire One 532h. About 6 months ago, I logged onto my computer and immediately noticed an odd problem. My screen display was "pushed down" by about an inch. This affects not just the desktop screen display, but every single program on my computer. A couple of examples of how this...
emh1969 Laptop Support 4 12-02-2011 09:43 AM