Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Disk Read Error, before POST, before BIOS

This is a discussion on Disk Read Error, before POST, before BIOS within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello. I have recently built a computer using all new parts, except the case, optical drive, and floppy drive. I

Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 01:49 PM   #1

Hello. I have recently built a computer using all new parts, except the case, optical drive, and floppy drive. I don't have any of the specs with me, but can hopefully get any information that would be relevant to answering this question.

First, I loaded windows with no problems. I then loaded my onboard video and audio drivers, no problem. Then, I loaded my E-Mu 0404 sound card, and disabled onboard sound. Still good. Finally, I loaded my Ozonic midi keyboard, which conflicted with my E-Mu, and I had to start fresh.

After un-installing and re-installing the audio, I realized that I would need to start fresh with Windows to get any results. I loaded a new Windows, with my E-Mu disconnected so that the system could load standard. Once Windows was loaded, the only thing I did was add my desktop icons, and disable MSN Explorer and Microsoft Messenger. I loaded the driver CD for my onboard video and audio, which is when I got my first 'Disk Read Error. Press Ctl-Alt-Del to restart' message.

This happened twice trying to read from my optical drive. Then, it began happening trying to get into Windows. I tried twice, with the same result Once again, I put in my Windows cd, booted it, and when it checks system configuration (first thing) I get the Disk Read Error again. This happened a few times on trying to read the install disk.

I checked BIOS, reset to factory defaults, but nothing appeared out of the ordinary. To take stock, that is two failed attempts at reading my optical drive from within Windows, two trying to boot Windows, and a few more trying to boot the Windows XP install CD.

Now, I get the message at start-up. I don't get POST messages, I don't get an opportunity to get into BIOS, I can't do anything. As soon as I power on, it fails to read the disk.

Everything worked fine (other than a completely solvable audio card conflict), the first install of XP. The second was apparently working fine, until I tried to load my driver CD. Since then, everything has gone down hill, and I have tried everything I know.

Although this is a long message, with nothing in it about my system specs, I am hoping that someone will be able to help me. The only specs I can give are ones that are visible on inspection, as I have no way of reading software information. Please let me know if you have any advice, or if you need more information to make a recommendation. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2009, 12:52 PM   #2

An edit to my post.....

I appears I am able to get into BIOS if I hit delete even before my monitor even gets it's signal. BIOS will come up, but if I don't hit delete, I don't get any POST messages, or any other messages before I get the disk read error.
Old 02-07-2009, 03:12 PM   #3
Registered Member

if you havn't made any changes to the hardware for the rebuild for the second rebuild it sounds like your optical drive has failed.
you could try cleaning or replacing the drive
if you have made changes check that it is visible in the bios and that it is set to be the first boot device
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2009, 08:46 AM   #4

I made no hardware changes, and BIOS reflects the factory defaults. I have tried booting without my hard drive connected, and I was able to boot my OS disk through my optical drive, and the program would run all the way through where I would have to pick a location to install the OS. This makes me think that the new hard drive is corrupt. However....

When I have both drives connected and have the optical drive as first boot, I still get the disk read error. This makes me question whether it might be the motherboard itself that has an issue.

I also tried hooking and EIDE hard drive up in place of my optical (I only have one IDE port on my mobo) with nothing else. That drive ideally should have loaded windows, as it was just fine when I took it out of the computer it came from. Instead, I got a message that I needed to insert a bootable device.

I want to try to put a different SATA drive and see if that boots, but I don't want to buy one if that isn't my problem. Once I get ahold of one to borrow, I will see if the HD is the problem or not.

In the meantime, any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:24 AM   #5
Registered Member

make sure you set the jumpers on the drives to reflect master and slave if you only have 1 IDE channel
Old 02-10-2009, 10:58 AM   #6

I made sure to do that, as well. What I have come up with, in case anybody else comes across this looking for a similar answer, is that I must have done something to disable or fry out the Input/Output system on my motherboard. My solution will be to replace the motherboard. I will be replacing the CPU as well, because I am not sure that the problem doesn't exist there. Not a happy day in my office.

Thanks for the assistance. I will check back to see if any other ideas pop up before I send my mobo and CPU back.
Closed Thread