Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

disc boot failure, disc is in, still wont work. need help.

This is a discussion on disc boot failure, disc is in, still wont work. need help. within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. hi, my friend gave me his old VAIO, cause my computer was shot. It has a pentium 2 in it

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 11:56 PM   #1

hi, my friend gave me his old VAIO, cause my computer was shot.
It has a pentium 2 in it and 233MHz(66x3.5),sometimews it says(266mhz(66x4.0)) with 512mb Ram. It origionally had a 2gig hard drive with windows xp prof. on it. the hd kept on filling up almost immediatly so I put my 80gig(westernDigital Caviar-100mbps-7200rpm)hard drive in it as the slave to beef it up.
What i origionally wanted to do was leave the 2gig in with only the operating system in it and use my 80gig for everything else,(completely bypass the 2gig.) But could not figure that out. If that is even possible I would still like to do that.
Now I have formatted my 80 gig hd, and the comp no longer has the 2gig drive in it. I have the jumper set to master(80GIG), with the master ide line in it. I have a win xp home disk, and I want to install it to the 80gig drive. my cd rom is working as well as the hard drive. (as seen in windows with the 2gig drive). I changed the First boot device to the cd-rom in the advanced BIOS features.
(second boot device:HDD-0
Third boot device:LS/ZIP
Boot other device Enabled, Everything But first boot is default.)
When comp starts up it goes to the memory test screen and reads my 80gig hd fine, then: PRIMARY HARD DISC FAIL. Or sometimes: Cpuis inworkable or has been changed, check cpusoft menu.
I press F1 to continue: blah blah verifying Dmi pool data....
Disk boot failure, insert system disc and press enter. I press enter and goes to blank screen the says same thing, Disk boot failure, insert system disc and press enter.
Ive been trying to figure this out for days, if anyone can help me solve this problem it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2010, 10:36 AM   #2
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

OS: XP Home SP3 x3 /XP Pro SP3/Vista Ultimate SP2/Win7 Pro 64-BIT

Welcome to TSF

Doesn't seem to be booting to the cd rom, try tapping the F12 key to boot from the optical drive in order to install windows.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:14 PM   #3

tapping f12 didnt seem to do anything either. Unless there is some specialtime itneeds to be pressed, but I did tap it throughout the restart, still wont boot from cd.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2010, 01:34 PM   #4
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

OS: XP Home SP3 x3 /XP Pro SP3/Vista Ultimate SP2/Win7 Pro 64-BIT

Sorry for the delay, I cannot assist if you cannot boot from cd
Closed Thread