Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Detect Samsung Galaxy S5 phone on Win XP?

This is a discussion on Detect Samsung Galaxy S5 phone on Win XP? within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi guys :), I want to ask you for an advice about my Samsung Galaxy S5 phone. I have a

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By britechguy
  • 1 Post By spunk.funk
  • 1 Post By britechguy
  • 1 Post By spunk.funk
  • 1 Post By britechguy
  • 1 Post By spunk.funk

Old 04-26-2020, 12:39 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi guys :), I want to ask you for an advice about my Samsung Galaxy S5 phone.

I have a Win 7 PC and it detects my phone automatically when I connect it with the cable.

I also have an old Win XP PC with no internet connection that I use only for some old games, my XP PC can't detect my phone automatically when I connect it with the cable, it probably doesn't have the drivers needed.
I tried:
SAMSUNG USB Driver for Mobile Phones
SAMSUNG Android USB Device Driver
MTP Porting Kit
SAMSUNG Mobile MTP Device Driver
SAMSUNG Android ADB Interface Driver
- but nothing worked.

From my limited tests the only way my XP PC to detect my phone is to install Windows Media Player 11, maybe there is some other better or more simple method but I don't know about it yet.
I like the default Windows Media Player 9 and I don't like Windows Media Player 11, so I was wondering if there is some way to use or register the Windows Media Player 11 files and drivers without actually installing Windows Media Player 11, and hoping that it would detect my phone.

Is there some way my XP PC to detect my Galaxy S5 phone without installing Windows Media Player 11?

Thanks for your time.
we3fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2020, 01:28 PM   #2
Windows Tech Team

My System

Does your phone have a mobile hotspot feature?

If so, it would probably be far easier to find a USB WiFi dongle that has an XP compatible driver.
we3fan likes this.
britechguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 03:36 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Is the only reason you want to connect your phone to an XP machine is for Internet Access? Or some other reason, like sharing file?
If only for Internet, a USB Dongle would be better, but You cannot do very much on the internet with XP. Besides it not being Supported by Microsoft for a decade, there are no browsers that are supported any longer.
If you just want to share files, plug your phone into a Windows 7 or 10 computer. Plug in a USB Flash Drive and drag and drop what files you want on the XP machine to the USB Flash drive, then put that into the XP machine to restore to.
we3fan likes this.
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2020, 11:57 AM   #4
Registered Member

Thanks for replying guys.

Hi britechguy, I don't know if my phone has a mobile hotspot feature, how can I check that? In my WiFi networks I can see one HotSpot network, I don't know if that helps. I have never used USB WiFi dongle before, is that a hardware that I put in my USB and it allows me to have WiFi Internet?

Hi spunk.funk, no, not for Internet Access, I have many videos on my XP PC that I would like to transfer to the phone from time to time. I have been doing this transfer method for the last 1-2 years, Win 7 to Win XP and vice versa with USB Flash Drive, but I am transferring files very often, maybe 2-3 files every week or every 2 weeks, so I wanted to find a way my XP PC to detect my phone directly, I believe it's possible, but it would require some tinkering.
Old 04-27-2020, 01:30 PM   #5
Windows Tech Team

My System

To be perfectly honest, I'd upgrade the Win7 machine to Win10 and either transfer everything of interest off of the XP machine and on to the other, or get an external USB drive (whether flash with huge capacity or a standard USB HDD) and copy it all to that.

XP era hardware is of an age where, no matter how well taken care of, the risk of failure is high. And running any unsupported Microsoft operating system in contact with cyberspace, which I presume your Win7 machine is, is just asking for trouble.

The upgrade from 7 to 10 is still available at no cost and easy to do. Though, like all major updates/upgrades, I strongly suggest doing a full system image backup of your existing system before doing an in-place upgrade.

Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file

The only difference between doing a Windows 10 feature update, and an in-place Win7 to Win10 upgrade, is that the steps up to and including kicking off setup.exe will occur under Windows 7 for the in-place upgrade.
we3fan likes this.
Old 04-27-2020, 02:29 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

As stated, copy all the files from the XP machine you want to keep save them to a USB HDD or Cloud service. Attach your backup device to your Windows 10 machine and attach your phone to that computer then copy any pictures and files you want to your phone, then retire you your XP computer to the closet. Also as stated upgrade your Windows 7 computer to Windows 10. This is the easiest way to do that rather then spend days looking for an XP driver and bein unsuccessful for your phone, unless you get in a time machine and go back about 10 years.
we3fan likes this.
Old 04-28-2020, 09:28 AM   #7
Registered Member

Thanks guys, I was considering to update my Win 7 to Win 10 for some time, I will probably do it in the next few weeks after I back up everything, I will still keep my old XP with no internet for a while, just for kicks.

BTW, how do the mobile hotspot feature and the USB WiFi dongle work?
Old 04-28-2020, 10:29 AM   #8
Windows Tech Team

My System

A mobile hotspot feature on a smartphone allows it to use its data connection and, effectively, become a modem-router. That's how I currently have my internet access here at home, and 4G LTE speeds are significantly higher than the DSL that was available here (or at least available for any reasonable price for a home user). You will generally find this feature somewhere in settings. On my Android-based device, it actually shows up under the main settings as "Portable hotspot." You have to set up your SSID (network name) and the network password just like you would on a typical modem-router.

A WiFi dongle is simply an external WiFi card. And under Windows 10 they are plug and play devices.
we3fan likes this.
Old 04-28-2020, 01:15 PM   #9
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

It depends on your Cellular Service plan, but usually the HotSpot feature is an extra service you have to turn on at your provider, and it may be an extra cost. Your smart phone connects to the internet and your phone connected to the computer via USB shares the internet connection with the computer. Data Charges may apply,.

A WiFi dongle is a USB device or internal card that you put in your computer and it has an internal or external antennae that connects with your existing internet router, giving you wireless access with your existing ISP.
we3fan likes this.
Old 04-30-2020, 03:44 AM   #10
Registered Member

Thanks again guys.