Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Desktop Engineer interview

This is a discussion on Desktop Engineer interview within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi All, I am interviewing some desktop engineers soon and as part of the interview I would like to do

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 02:05 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi All,

I am interviewing some desktop engineers soon and as part of the interview I would like to do a practical test.

I am would like some of your recommendations / experiences of what practical tests you have ever had to do or given.

Nothing too simple, something challenging.

We use windows XP and Dell machines

Also maybe some questions to ask

Look forward to your responses.

Thanks
Elliot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2013, 02:51 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

This is a good start: desktop support interview tests XP - Bing
Old 01-24-2013, 03:01 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks ill take a look, if anyone has Any personal experiences please let me know

Thanks
Elliot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 03:33 PM   #4
Registered Member

Hello,

Lots to go at here. Our desktop technician practical tests comprise 20 multiple choice questions that cover various aspects of the job description. For example if you want to gauge their knowledge of Dell hardware you could ask a question on something specific such as what does the 2 yellow and 2 red lights mean on the Dell ABCD diagnostic lights? For XP you could ask what the function of the page file is or a certain registry hive. I would also include some general questions such as what does BSOD or WMI mean, and scenario questions such as how do you react to an angry user who has been waiting too long for their PC to be fixed.

For interview questions we tend to focus on their technical abilities and ability to be manage and organise their own work, e.g. What information would you gather from a user to actively resolve a printing problem over the phone, where does the biggest malware threat come from for organisations and what would you do to mitigate that threat, how would you approach fixing a printer that has a flashing amber light, what is your experience of rolling out new computers and cloning desktop images, what hardware have you worked on the past, memory upgrades etc.

Once you get the ball rolling it will be a question of curtailing the number of questions you ask. Make sure the right ones are asked for your company.

Hope this helps,

Steve
Closed Thread