Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Dead Computer hard drive

This is a discussion on Dead Computer hard drive within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, My Sony VAIO will not boot up. I need to get access to some of the e-mails stored on

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 02:23 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi,
My Sony VAIO will not boot up. I need to get access to some of the e-mails stored on it. When I started having problems, I did copy all files to an external drive. Can I access those e-mails?

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2016, 03:04 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

What is your Email program? Do you use Web Mail (eg) Gmail, Live, Outlook.com etc Or do you use an Email program on your computer like Microsoft Office/Outlook? if Outlook, When you backed up all of your files, did you backup the .pst file? That is where your Emails are stored.
If the Vaio HDD has failed you can try and recover your files using the free TestDisk program. I have had the best luck with GetDataBack. You will need another drive of the same size or larger to restore your files to.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:23 PM   #3
Troubled

Yes, you can find it if you make sure you have already copied all files to another external drive. Did you know the reason your laptop cannot boot up? And what email application you use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2016, 06:27 AM   #4
Registered Member

Hi AnakoAlbert

Not being an expert in computer systems, I simply copied All the files as listed under my user id (the only user ID on that computer). When I compare the directory of the copied files, it does have a directory named "Windows".

The computer is a Sony VAIO

I believe the e-mail application was the predecessor to Windows Live Mail, possibly Outlook Express. The earliest files on the Sony date from Jan 2006. It was last successfully accessed in approximately April 2015.

The Sony "ON" lights both show for 25 seconds after pressing the "ON" button then both go out, whether or not the battery is inserted (I was told to try removing the battery).

If I removed the internal hard drive from the sony and bought one of those external drive access kits would that allow me to get at the e-mail files?

Thank you
Old 01-20-2016, 01:27 PM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Yes pulling the HDD and putting it into a USB Enclosure should be able to let you access the Email files, but you will have to be certain what exact Email program you previously had and what Email program you currently have now that you want to import them into.
Did you previously use Outlook Express? Do you Currently have Outlook? which is part of the Microsoft Office suite? This might help you: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/283205