Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

cursor dragging and usb problem

This is a discussion on cursor dragging and usb problem within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Wasnt sure what section to put this thread in... Right recently my front two usb slots wont recognise my wireless

Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 12:44 AM   #1
Registered Member

Wasnt sure what section to put this thread in...

Right recently my front two usb slots wont recognise my wireless dongle?! I insert it but then my computer makes that sound ( dur dur ) then just alerts me to say ive taken it out ( when i havent ) For some reason it works when i use the usb slot in the back of the computer :-S but not the front two which ive always used !!!!!!

Also ive recently purchesed a vodaphone usb dongle ( having problems with our internet connection ) and for some reason whebn i connect and open a browser ( either firefox of IE) my mouse cursor starts slowing and dragging ALOT sometimes to the point i just give in and reset me computer.

Sorry if this is the wrong section :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2010, 05:01 AM   #2
CCT
Helper

I would suggest a USB reset -> Method 3 here -> https://support.microsoft.com/kb/817900
Old 12-19-2010, 08:32 AM   #3
Registered Member

i use a wireless keyboard and mouse this will be a problem if im uninstalling usb controllers no??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2010, 09:34 AM   #4
CCT
Helper

You set the power button to shutdown the comp in Control Panel, Power Options, advanced.

Then you identify what usb hub/port has the mouse - uninstall the rest FIRST then that last and then press the power button.

Everything should re-detect at boot.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:08 AM   #5
Registered Member

ok that seems to of worked for everything apart from my wireless dongle which only works in 1 usb port ( at the back of my computer ) but i suppose i can live with that !!! thanks

Now my other problem with my cursor slowing down/dragging/ stuttering when i connect to internet and open a browser??? can you shed any light on this for me please!

appreciated.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:24 AM   #6
CCT
Helper

Looking at your original issue and what you now say, it appears there was NO change!

There is an obvious problem with your comp and the vodafone dongle if the slow/choppy cursor happens only when that connects.

The front ports not working with your NIC dongle could be a number of things - many front ports are only USB 1.1.

Are all USB Hubs set to NOT allow power off?
Old 12-19-2010, 06:12 PM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Front USB ports on a computer are connected by wires to the motherboard. Back USB ports are soldered onto the Motherboard so they provide more power and are stronger. Some devices just don't work in the front ports, especially if they need extra power.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:42 AM   #8
Registered Member

well my wireless dongle used to work fine using all my usb ports its only recently ive had make do with just using the ports at the back of my computer. This problem occured BEFORE i even used the vodaphone dongle.

How do i check if all USB Hubs set to NOT allow power off?
Old 12-21-2010, 02:24 AM   #9
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Go to Start/Run and type devmgmt.msc and hit enter. In the Device Manager. Branch out Universal Serial Bus Controllers. Right click USB Root Hub/Power Management tab. Un-Check Allow Computer to turn off this Device to save Power. Do this on all USB Root Hubs. That probably won't help, but it's something you can try.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:42 AM   #10
CCT
Helper

Go into Control Panel, click on Display, Settings, Advanced, Troubleshoot and set the hardware acceleration down a notch.

Reboot.

See how that runs.
Closed Thread