Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

copy mp3 files sd to sd card

This is a discussion on copy mp3 files sd to sd card within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Is there a quicker way to copy mp3 files and video files from micro SD to micro SD card. Currently

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 09:04 PM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

Is there a quicker way to copy mp3 files and video files from micro SD to micro SD card.
Currently I am using card reader USB adapter to plugin into usb ports on my p.c. and it takes around 8 hours. About 26 gbs of data to transfer. Is this normal?

I usually use micro SD cards with 64 and 32 gbs.

Would using a powered USB hub make it copy faster?

Thanks

Zhong
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2016, 10:48 PM   #2
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhong View Post
Is there a quicker way to copy mp3 files and video files from micro SD to micro SD card.
Currently I am using card reader USB adapter to plugin into usb ports on my p.c. and it takes around 8 hours. About 26 gbs of data to transfer. Is this normal?

I usually use micro SD cards with 64 and 32 gbs.

Would using a powered USB hub make it copy faster?

Thanks

Zhong
8 hours to transfer 26GB of data means you're only getting about 946KB/s or 0.9MB/s (less than 1MB/s) transfer speeds. That's less than the minimum data rate of a class 2 (the lowest speed class) card. Are your cards class 2? If they are, you should be getting about 2MB/s speeds or double your current speeds and about 4 hours ETA. These adapters that you are using, did they come supplied with the cards or did you buy them separately? If they are aftermarket adapters, they could be the bottleneck. You can temporarily disable/pause your antivirus protection and see if the speeds improve. Alternatively, you could first copy the files from the source card to the hard disk, then copy them from the hard disk to the destination card. Try with a few files first to see how much speeds you get, compared to directly copying them from one card to another.

If you have access to a laptop with an SD card reader or a desktop with an internally attached card reader, you can try using the microSD-to-SD adapters instead of the microSD-to-USB adapter and see how much of a difference it makes.
Old 04-06-2016, 02:58 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

I am using lexar and Kingston micro SD cards they both have 10X speed. Using 64 gbs lexar micro sd card to standard SD card adapter to plugin to Sandisk HC adapter to copy files to 33 gbs Kingston SD card with Lexar adapter since the cards I have don't come with their own brand of adapters included when I bought them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20160406_171004.png
Views:	62
Size:	749.3 KB
ID:	277465

What is normal time to copy 26GB of data from one 64 gbs Lexar micro sd card to 32 gbs Kingston micro sd card both with 10X speed to another ?

Thanks

Zhong
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2016, 05:12 AM   #4
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
What is normal time to copy 26GB of data from one 64 gbs Lexar micro sd card to 32 gbs Kingston micro sd card both with 10X speed to another ?

Thanks

Zhong
If by 10X speed you mean class 10 or UHS-1 memory (minimum 10MB/s write speed), then theoretically it should take about 45min to write 26GB of data. Taking into consideration system and media overhead, let's assume a write speed of 8MB/s, then it would take about 55min to write 26GB. All in all, it should take less than an hour to write 26GB to a class 10 or UHS-1 SDHC card.

Now, it's not unusual for data transfer to start at a lower speed (and overwhelmingly high ETA), and as the transfer progresses it attains higher stable speeds with a lower ETA. The speeds should stabilize after a short while and give a more accurate estimate of time remaining to complete the task. If you expand the copy dialog it should show you the current speed at which data is being transferred. Post a screenshot of it.

I think i can make out the UHC-1 speed specification on the 32GB Kingston (inside the Lexar reader). Do a test as follows:

Insert it into the SD adapter for microSD and read it using the SanDisk reader. Copy about 1GB of data from local disk to it. How fast is the data transfer after 30 seconds?
Old 04-07-2016, 10:42 AM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stancestans View Post
If by 10X speed you mean class 10 or UHS-1 memory (minimum 10MB/s write speed), then theoretically it should take about 45min to write 26GB of data. Taking into consideration system and media overhead, let's assume a write speed of 8MB/s, then it would take about 55min to write 26GB. All in all, it should take less than an hour to write 26GB to a class 10 or UHS-1 SDHC card.

Now, it's not unusual for data transfer to start at a lower speed (and overwhelmingly high ETA), and as the transfer progresses it attains higher stable speeds with a lower ETA. The speeds should stabilize after a short while and give a more accurate estimate of time remaining to complete the task. If you expand the copy dialog it should show you the current speed at which data is being transferred. Post a screenshot of it.

I think i can make out the UHC-1 speed specification on the 32GB Kingston (inside the Lexar reader). Do a test as follows:

Insert it into the SD adapter for microSD and read it using the SanDisk reader. Copy about 1GB of data from local disk to it. How fast is the data transfer after 30 seconds?
After 30 seconds I took a screen shot here-

Name:	hdtosdcard10X1gbs.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	277545

Copied from external hard drive to Micro sd card inserted to Sandisk adapter.

It would be slower if I copied micro sd card to micro sd card though.

Thanks

Zhong
Old 04-07-2016, 12:02 PM   #6
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
After 30 seconds I took a screen shot here-

Attachment 277545

Copied from external hard drive to Micro sd card inserted to Sandisk adapter.

Zhong
Not far from expected speeds. 7.90MB/s (~8MB/s) looks good to me. Repeat the same using the SanDisk adapter and the 64GB card. Let's see how fast it is (post a second screenshot).

Repeat the same tests again using Lexar card reader and each microSD card inserted. The idea is to establish which card reader or microSD is the bottleneck that's affecting the transfer speeds directly from microSD to microSD. Let's see the screenshots for each test.
Old 04-11-2016, 01:39 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

Used External hard drive copy to 64gbs sdcard inserted into Sandisk High capacity sd card reader after 30 secs. this is the speed.

Name:	ExtHdriveTo64gbssdcard.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	278025

Used 64gbs sdcard inserted into Sandisk High capacity sd card reader copy files to 32gbs sd card inserted into Lexar card read after 30 secs this is the speed.

Name:	64gbsLexarSandiskreaderto32gbsLexarsdcardLexarReader.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	278033

They transfer at speed of about 611kbs to 642kbs when using sd cards and card readers.

So I think it is the card readers or micro sd cards that are causing the bottle neck.

Quote:
Not far from expected speeds. 7.90MB/s (~8MB/s) looks good to me. Repeat the same using the SanDisk adapter and the 64GB card. Let's see how fast it is (post a second screenshot).

Repeat the same tests again using Lexar card reader and each microSD card inserted. The idea is to establish which card reader or microSD is the bottleneck that's affecting the transfer speeds directly from microSD to microSD. Let's see the screenshots for each test.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:32 PM   #8
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Used External hard drive copy to 64gbs sdcard inserted into Sandisk High capacity sd card reader after 30 secs. this is the speed.

Attachment 278025

Used 64gbs sdcard inserted into Sandisk High capacity sd card reader copy files to 32gbs sd card inserted into Lexar card read after 30 secs this is the speed.

Attachment 278033

They transfer at speed of about 611kbs to 642kbs when using sd cards and card readers.

So I think it is the card readers or micro sd cards that are causing the bottle neck.
Actually, your 64GB microSD card is the bottleneck. Using the same SanDisk reader, the speeds were:

32GB: ~8MB/s
64GB: ~643MB/s

The slowest card will affect data speeds when copying directly from card to card. There's no way data will be written to the 32GB (destination) faster than it's read from the 64GB (source) card. What exactly is the speed class of the 64GB card?
Old 04-12-2016, 01:39 PM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Actually, your 64GB microSD card is the bottleneck. Using the same SanDisk reader, the speeds were:

32GB: ~8MB/s
64GB: ~643MB/s

The slowest card will affect data speeds when copying directly from card to card. There's no way data will be written to the 32GB (destination) faster than it's read from the 64GB (source) card. What exactly is the speed class of the 64GB card?
The Lexar 64 gbs is a class 10 speed micro SDXC

Thanks

Old 04-13-2016, 11:12 AM   #10
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
The Lexar 64 gbs is a class 10 speed micro SDXC

Thanks

Those speeds are too low for a class 10 card. Possible causes of this are:

1. The card is a fake knock-off and not a genuine Lexar card.

2. SDXC card is NOT formatted in exFAT, the recommended filesystem for optimal performance of SDXC cards.

3. The card is failing.

4. The card reader is not fully compliant with the SDXC standard, so it's not fully compatible with SDXC media.
Closed Thread