Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

control panel is gone

This is a discussion on control panel is gone within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My control panel is gone, I have win xp and im looseing my mind. please help me.

Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 10:51 PM   #1

My control panel is gone, I have win xp and im looseing my mind. please help me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2009, 12:22 AM   #2
Registered Member

First off, have you installed or uninstalled anything since the last time you saw the control panel?

Also are you trying to access control panel from the Start menu or from My Computer? If it is the start menu, the control panel link can be hidden.

If that dosen't work there are a lot of sites that report this same problem, this one seems to have a fix:
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic114010.html

It seems to involve a lot but it is one of the only ones that seem to have the problem fixed.

There are also these, but they don't seem to have confirmed fixes, although they may be a good resource.

https://www.techsupportforum.com/f10/...xp-182341.html

https://forums.cnet.com/5208-6132_102...hreadID=261486

Sorry if this is too much info. Give it a good look over if you can.

Hope it helps.
Old 06-07-2009, 04:49 AM   #3
Registered Member

Hi,

Suggest that you scan for trojan/virus activity using Malwarebytes.
Download the free version at https://www.malwarebytes.org

After you install and start Malwarebytes, ensure that you click on the Update tab and click Check for Updates. When complete, click on Scanner tab and click the Scan button. Follow instructions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2009, 07:42 AM   #4
Registered Member

Location: Glasgow,Scotland - The birthplace of Irn Bru,Tennents and the Glasgow Kiss
OS: Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows Vista, Windows Xp, Windows Server 2003

My System

Try Start - Run and type control.exe this doesnt get your control panel back, just opens up the control panel through run and just confirms you can still access the control panel. If it does let you access it then its just a matter of getting control panel back.

Right click the desktop and create new shortcut and in the box type control.exe. This creates a shortcut for you to access it.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:41 PM   #5

I tryed and the response I get is ( This operation has been cancelled dur to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator ) and of course I'm stuck at this point. Any other ideas? Thank you for your reply
Old 06-08-2009, 12:50 PM   #6
Troubled

You must be logged in as an Administrator on the computer. Right click on your task bar and select properties, then click the Start
Menu tab. Now click the customize button, and finally the Advanced tab.
Control Panel is the very first item listed, make sure it is set to be
displayed.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:22 AM   #7

Thank you spike2me, I've done what you recomend and there is no control panel there either?
Closed Thread