Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Connecting my laptop with windows xp to the internet.

This is a discussion on Connecting my laptop with windows xp to the internet. within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I just reinstalled windows xp home edition to a compaq presario laptop, but I have not been able to connect

Closed Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 05:01 PM   #1
Registered Member

I just reinstalled windows xp home edition to a compaq presario laptop, but I have not been able to connect to the internet.

In the first DIAL-UP CONNECTION WINDOW, three filled out boxes appear. The first one, for CONNECT TO has the correct name of my internet service provider (COMCAST) The second one, for USERNAME, has my correct username for my COMCAST internet service provider. But the third one, for PASSWORD, has sixteen dots, as if some system has assigned me a sixteen-character password, but my COMCAST password has only eight characters.

Below the three mentioned parts of information, there is a CONNECT BUTTON, and when I click it, then up to ten repeated attempts to connect are manifested, I guess to my wireless router, which is fed by a modem and the COMCAST INTERNET SERVICE cable, but the connection to the internet does not happen.

I have two other laptops that have no trouble at all with the internet connection.

I am afraid to erase the sixteen dots that are in the third box, and replace them with my eight-character COMCAST password.

I wish somebody knows the solution to my problem, and I really appreciate to be told what to do or what I can try.

Sincerely, Andres Ruvalcaba.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2017, 11:15 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

If you have a Wireless Internet Router, you would not use your Dial-UP Modem. A Dial-Up Connection requires a phone line from your computer to the Land Line phone connection in your wall. It is extremely slow, and You probably don't connect to the internet this way.
What is the make and model of your Compaq Presario? There should be a sticker on the bottom of the laptop.
Go to Start/Run and type devmgmt.msc and press Enter. In the Device Manager, are there any devices with Yellow flags? Especially under Network Adapters? If so, these devices need drivers. If you see Wireless Adapter under Network Adapters and it does not have a Yellow flag, then in the lower right hand corner of the computer by the time, you should see an icon that if you hover your mouse above it or is clicked, it will show you Wireless Networks that are available. You choose your Wireless Networks Name (SSID) and type in the Pass Phrase Password
If your Ethernet LAN Network Adapters does not have a flag, you can use an Ethernet Cable from the computer to your Internet Router to get internet.
You then go to the HP Drivers site, https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers Type in your HP Compaq Presario's Model #, Choose XP as your OS and download whatever drivers you need from the Device Manager. If your LAN needs to be downloaded also, do this on another computer and save the drivers to a USB Flash Drive and transfer them to the Presario.
Old 11-27-2017, 02:18 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thank you very much for your reply.

My laptop is an HP Compaq Presario R3000

I followed the first few steps you described in you answer.

In the Device Manager window, under Network Adapters, there are six devices with yellow flag. Under Network Adapters, I did not see Wireless Adapters, and I used wireless connection to the internet when my laptop was working.

I clicked on the bottom right icon that you told me, and the Network Connection window appeared with three choices. The first choice, titled Broadband, was for my ISP (COMCAST). I double clicked on it and the Connect Comcast window appeared. The first box, for username, had my correct username for my COMCAST account. In the following box, for password, it was written: [To change the saved password click here]. Can I click there and adopt and create an arbitrary password that will become official? Let me mention that the first day when I reinstalled windows XP, I had to enter a name for something and I entered COMCAST INTERNET CONNECTION SOURCE, and when in the Network Connections window, I right click on my choice for COMCAST, and then in properties, the Comcast Properties window appear, and on its box for Service name, it is written there COMCAST INTERNET CONNECTION SOURCE, and I wonder if it is this what I should enter for password in the Connect Comcast window, or if, as I have mentioned, I can adopt and create an arbitrary password.

Sincerely, Andres Ruvalcaba
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2017, 05:54 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
On an Internet computer go to the HP Drivers site, https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers Type in your HP Compaq Presario's Model #, Choose XP as your OS and download whatever drivers you need from the Device Manager. If your LAN needs to be downloaded also, do this on another computer and save the drivers to a USB Flash Drive and transfer them to the Presario.
You do not have the drivers installed for your Network Adapters.
On an internet computer Go to the HP drivers site, https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers...series/4075892 type in your Make and Model# and choose Windows XP as the OS and download the Chipset driver and install this first, then restart the computer before installing any other drivers, and then download the drivers under Driver-Network. Save these drivers to a USB Flash drive and transfer them to the troubled computer. Or you can download the RealTek LAN driver and install it, then use an Ethernet Cable to connect that computer and download all the other drivers you need directly to that computer. Be sure to install the Chipset driver first and restart. There are 3 Wireless drivers listed on the driver download page, but only one of them will install correctly, you will have to try all of them unless you know which is which. You probably don't need the Bluetooth driver.
Old 11-28-2017, 05:49 PM   #5
Registered Member

In the Hp Drivers Site I entered My laptop name (Compaq Presario R3000 Notebook PC Series) And I got the message that there were too many results. I entered the product name and it did not work. I entered the serial number and I also got the message that there were too many results.
I could not do more in the whole afternoon in part due to the perpetrators of my affliction who are seemingly starting to inflict me another scarring crisis.
If you have some more information to give me, I appreciate if you do that. I will see if I can do something tomorrow.

Old 11-29-2017, 03:12 AM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

On the bottom of the laptop is a sticker. Type in the Service Tag #
https://www.zkarlo.com/blog/wp-conten...odelNumber.jpg
If that doesn't work, download the nVidia Chipset, RealTek NIC driver and Wireless LAN Driver from here: Compaq Presario R3000 (AMD) Notebook PC drivers | HP Notebook Drivers
These are probably the same drivers as linked to the HP Site in post #4
Old 11-30-2017, 04:35 PM   #7
Registered Member

From the last website that you mentioned, I dowloaded these three drivers to a flashdrive:
(No. 10, SP30379) Broadcom Wireless LAN Driver 4.00 B
(No. 13, sp27436) RealTek RTL8101L NIC Driver for windows 2000/XP 5.505.1004.2002 A
(No. 24, sp27346) NVIDIA Chipset Support for Windows 2000/XP 3.3.8.0 A
When I plug the flashdrive to the troubled laptop, it shows as drive E, and when I double click it, the three drivers show in the window for this drive E
If I have to install these three drives in the troubled laptop, I am not sure how to do that.
About typing, in my wireless network (COMCAST) page something in the box for password, I do not know if something can be tried. If it is prudent to try something this way, you can review my question in my second posting, after your first reply.
I apologize for almost not making progress. I had never downloaded drivers before, and I appreciate if you can have patience.
Old 12-01-2017, 01:32 AM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

You install a Driver like you install any software or download. You double click it.
If it is a Zipped folder, you extract (Unzip) the contents and save them to your desktop or download location. Open the unzipped folder, and double click Setup.exe.
If it's not a zipped folder, then just double click it, and follow the instructions.
You are confusing the Comcast Dial-Up Network dialog box with a wireless network. It is not.
Once you install all the drivers so there are no more yellow flags in the Device Manager and have restarted the computer. You will see a Wireless Icon in the System Tray by the clock. It will say Wireless Networks are Available. Click on this and Then you choose your wireless network, and type in your WiFi password.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:56 PM   #9
Registered Member

Thank you very much for your reply

When I was observing the three drivers in the troubled laptop the rare influences of my affliction made me double click two or thee times in them, and two of the six yellow flagged drivers disappeared. Under network adapters I was having only the green flagged Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN. Now there is another green flagged Realtek8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC

And under other devices the yellow flagged driver Network Controller also disappeared.

The remaining four yellow flagged drivers that remain under Other devices: are
Base System Device
Multimedia audio cotroller
PCI Modem
Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

Maybe you can look up to the HP drivers for my particular make and model that you told me in the last reply and from which I downloaded drivers number 10, 13 and 24 and tell me which of the 31 listed drivers I need to download for the four yellow flagged drivers that I still have and that I have just enumerated

I think I do not dare to try ways. Does System Restore work without internet connection?

I appreciate your answers. I hope you have time and patience to reply.

Old 12-06-2017, 08:33 PM   #10
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Now that you have internet, you can go directly to the HP Drivers site with this computer for your model https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers.../model/3812164 Choose Vista 32bit as your OS (the earliest version of Windows this laptop supports) and download the Driver-Chipset, Driver-Audio, Driver-Modem, and Driver-Graphics.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:37 PM   #11
Registered Member

Thank you very much for your last reply.

I do not have internet yet. When I double click on INTERNET EXPLORER, I get a small window saying WEB PAGE UNAVAILABLE WHILE OFFLINE and when I close this small window I go to what it would be the internet explorer page, but instead it says at the top: WEB PAGE UNAVAILABLE WHILE OFFLINE - MICROSOFT INTERNET EXPLORER – [WORKING OFFLINE], and below the address bar it says: WEB PAGE UNAVAILABLE OFFLINE, and below this a message saying: INTERNET EXPLORER IS UNABLE TO DISPLAY THIS PAGE WHEN YOU ARE NOT CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET, and I cannot go to any web page.

The new icon at the lower right corner, by the time, says: STATUS: CONNECTED and when I click on this new icon the WIRELESS NETWORK CONNECTION STATUS window appears, and it also says: STATUS CONNECTED, but, as I said, I cannot go to any web page.

I have an ACER ASPIRE 5720 laptop with WINDOWS VISTA, and in this laptop I receive your replies. So, when in this ACER laptop I clicked on the link that you told me in your last reply I could see the four drivers that you told me listed. I plugged a flash drive in this ACER laptop, and I tried the DRIVER – CHIPSET download, and I could see the download on the lower left corner, but the instructions were saying to go to the downloads listed in MY COMPUTER and to double click the CHIPSET–DRIVER download to install it. This would be very convenient if I were having the DRIVER–CHIPSET download in the troubled Presario laptop.

Is there a way to transfer the four driver downloads that you told me to a flash drive and then use the flash drive to install the four drivers in the troubled Presario?

I apologize because this work on an internet connection is taking long. I hope you still have time and patience to keep working on this task.

Old 12-08-2017, 10:51 PM   #12
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

If connecting by WiFi, you would see this icon in the lower right hand side of the taskbar next to the time (see attached 1 and 2)Choose your Wireless Network and sign in with your WiFi password.
If you are connected to an Ethernet Cable you should see this icon in the lower right (see attached 3)
If you are already connected to the internet, then go to Start/Run and type CMD, and press Enter. In the Command Prompt type
ipconfig /Release and press enter then type
ipconfig /Renew and press enter.
Try Internet Explorer again on any page like Google.com, if this fails, in the Command Prompt type
Ipconfig /all> 0 & notepad 0 and press enter. Copy the text in the Notepad results and Paste it into your next post.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	windows-xp-wifi-certificate-error.png
Views:	178
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	317042  
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2017, 05:24 PM   #13
Registered Member

Thank you very much for your good reply.

In the Choose a Wireless Network window, I tried the PAISA choice two or three times, entering the network key that I have, and every time, there was a small circle to and from a tower Pc and a tower, so it seemed that the internet connection was going to get established, but the PAISA connection choice only went to the Acquiring network address status, and remained this way blinking a little continually every two or three seconds.

The icon, at the lower left, shows continually a tiny yellow circle separating from and returning to the icon, and when I hover over this icon the following information appears:
Wireless Network Connection: (PAISA)
Speed: 54.0 Mbps
Signal Strength: Excellent

About the other icon, like two laptops with a red X , when I hover over it before connecting the Ethernet cable, it displays:
Local Area Connection
A network cable is unplugged.

When I plug the Ethernet cable, if I click the icon before it disappears, the Local Area Connection Status window appears and in it, it says: Status: Connected.
This window has the PROPERTIES and DISABLE buttons at the bottom. I clicked the PROPERTIES button, and the Local Area Connection Properties window appeared. It says: Connect using the green flagged Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Et…(in a box), and at the right of the box, the CONFIGURE button.

I was afraid to click the CONFIGURE button, but just below it was saying: This connection uses the following items
Client for Microsoft Network (highlighted)
File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Network
QoS Packet Scheduler
Internet Protocol {TCP/IP}

I hope you still have something to tell me to try.

Old 12-10-2017, 06:05 PM   #14
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

What is the name of your WiFi network that you connect with on your other devices? Is it PASIA or something else?
Quote:
In the Choose a Wireless Network window.... but the PAISA connection choice only went to the Acquiring network address status, and remained this way blinking a little continually every two or three seconds.
If this is your WiFi network name, and you typed in the correct password, it should connect or it will time out. In which case, you didn't type in the right pass phrase or you are too far from the router.
Quote:
About the other icon....the Local Area Connection Status window appears and in it, it says: Status: Connected
This means you are connected to the internet by Ethernet cable. You can open up Internet Explorer, and go to Google.com or your default home page or any other web site on the internet. You do not need to configure anything. You're already on the internet.
Old 12-23-2017, 06:56 PM   #15
Registered Member

Hi, it is me, dragandres, again.

You told me at last on December the 10th that I am already connected to the internet via an Ethernet cable, but since I could not get to start the internet connection I called a COMCAST agent (COMCAST is my ISP) and she told me that I cannot connect to the internet because I forgot my Administrator password. I did not assert to tell you this. I am a poor thinker.

The COMCAST agent told me to call HP TECHNICAL SUPPORT and I did that, but I was told there was going to be a charge of $59.99 for connecting my COMPAQ PRESARIO laptop with windows XP to the internet.

I have seen a few YOUTUBE videos about how to connect to the internet when the administrator password was forgotten, but they start with the empty ADMINISTRATOR password box, and, in the case of my Presario, what first appears is the empty box for my username password. I have created a password for my username. It gets me to the Start button and it also says ADMINISTRATOR below, but it does not connect me to the internet.

One YOUTUBE video says to hold the Ctrl and Alt buttons and press DELETE twice to go to the UNLOCK COMPUTER window, but I am afraid to do that.

Do you have an idea of something I could try? I you do I appreciate to let me be known that.

Old 12-24-2017, 02:04 AM   #16
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

If you are logged into your computer with an Admin User profile, and you have an Ethernet Cable plugged into the computer, and the icon in the System Tray by the clock shows as pictured below, and does not have a Red X on it, you are Already connected to the internet, just open Internet Explorer and go to a web site.
You can also right click this icon and Choose Status, or Open Network Connections. You can also Go to Start/Run and type ncpa.cpl and press enter. In Network Connections, right click the Local Area Connections and choose Status or Diagnose the connectioin.
If you open Internet Explorer and type in Google in the Address Bar and it does not connect then go to Start/Run and type CMD. In the Command Prompt type this Ipconfig /all> 0 & notepad 0. Copy the text in the Notepad results and paste them into your next post. If you don't have internet, copy the Notepad results to a USB Flash drive and copy it over to your internet computer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	windows_network_icon.png
Views:	57
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	317530  
Old 12-24-2017, 06:32 PM   #17
Registered Member

Thank you very much for your last reply

Yesterday I watched a YOUTUBE video that I tried to follow and in the user accounts window below my username it says: Computer administrator
and I made the mistake to assume that below my username (for first going to the START button) it was also saying Administrator. It is not so. I apologize.

I appreciate all the instructions you told me. I executed all of them. Again, I apologize for the aforementioned false assumption.

I guess you can see below what was printed in NOTEPAD. If there is still something to do, I appreciate that information.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : andreswinxp

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0F-B0-3E-0B-44

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.9

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, December 24, 2017 5:11:37 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, December 25, 2017 5:11:37 PM

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-90-4B-93-B0-47

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Old 12-25-2017, 03:23 AM   #18
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

The Default Gateway is your Internet Router, it has an IP Address of 192.168.2.1. This means that your Internet Router is connected to the INTERNET!
It doesn't matter if you are logged in as an Administrator or not, Just click on the Big Blue E (Internet Explorer) go to ANY Web page you want, You are Already on the Internet! If you get an error when you open Internet Explorer when you type in a web page address, Please tell us what it says.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:13 PM   #19
Registered Member

Thank you very much for your last reply.

I clicked the big blue E (internet explorer) and it appeared a small window titled WEB PAGE UNAVAILABLE WHILE OFFLINE with the message: The webpage you requested is not available offline; to view this page click CONNECT.

I clicked CONNECT and it appeared a bigger window titled DIAL-UP CONNECTION with:
1 The CONNECT TO box having COMCAST; 2) the USERNAME box having my correct username for my COMCAST account; 3) a box for PASSWORD having sixteen dots, as if I had an official sixteen characters password, but I do not know it; 4) a square for SAVE PASSWORD checked; 5)another square for CONNECT AUTOMATICALLY not checked; 6) a CONNECT button, a SETTINGS button and a WORK OFFLINE BUTTON at the bottom.

I clicked the aforementioned CONNECT button at the bottom, and it appeared the same DIAL-UP CONNECTION, describing at the bottom the progression of ten redials. At the end of the tenth redial it appeared the message: NO ANSWER.

When closing each of the three aforementioned windows it appears what could be the internet explorer page, but its title at the top says: WEBPAGE UNAVAILABLE WHILE OFFLINE – MICROSOFT INTERNET EXPLORER – [WORKING OFFLINE]. It has the FILE, EDIT, VIEW, FAVORITES. TOOLS and HELP menus, and the address search box is having: https://awww.microsoft.com/isapi/redi...r=6&ar=msnhome

The message that is below the address search box says:

Web page unavailable offline
Internet Explorer is unable to display this page when you are not connected to the Internet.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please try the following:
To make this page available offline, connect to the Internet, click the Favorites menu, click Add to Favorites, and then select the Make available offline check box.
On the Tools menu, click Synchronize.
When you work offline, select the page from your Favorites list.

Internet Explorer

I typed GOOGLE in the search box and pressed ENTER, and nothing happened. I clicked the green arrow at the right of the search box and the very same first small window titled WEB PAGE UNAVAILABLE WHILE OFFLINE that I first mentioned at the very beginning of this posting appeared covering part of the last message I mentioned being in its position below the address search box.

I closed the small window and the webpage remained the same having GOOGLE in the address search box but I do not get connected to the Google webpage.

I hope there is still something that can be tried.

Old 12-28-2017, 11:47 PM   #20
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

If a Dial Up window with a connect button appears, there is something wrong with your Comcast internet. You do not need to click a Connect Button.
Out of the back of the computer, the Ethernet LAN cable connects to your Router. Do you have a separate Internet Modem from Comcast or is the Router and Modem a combo unit? Is the cable from the wall or cable box plugged into the Modem? If two devices, do you have a cable going from the Modem to the Router?
Have you called Comcast Support? https://www.xfinity.com/support/contact-us/
Have them test your lines and have a technician come out to see if it is plugged in correctly.