Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Connected to the internet, but I cannot surf

This is a discussion on Connected to the internet, but I cannot surf within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I reinstalled windows XP to my compaq presario R3000 laptop using the install CD, and only with the ethernet cable

Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 01:25 PM   #1
Registered Member

I reinstalled windows XP to my compaq presario R3000 laptop using the install CD, and only with the ethernet cable connected, from internet options only MSN and BING show up when designating an initial home page; and I cannot go to any other website from these two home pages.

I can read information from most of the MSN links, but from BING I can not read any from BING's three links and can only go to the MSN home page from BING that has MSN as a fourth link.

I can go to a list of AMAZON and HP videos (different pages) but can not play any video nor go to any webpage from there. In general, except for BING and MSN, I always get the CANNOT FIND SERVER message.

I read some information about this problem, and in the Bing homepage search box I entered Google's numerical IP address and neither I went to the google homepage nor to any information about google. According to the read information I do not have a server issue but rather a problem within my laptop.

From windows XP troubleshooter I tried testing a TCP/IP configuration using the PING command in COMMAND PROMPT, but I do not know how to use the procedure or get conclusions from it.

I have two other laptops that do not have any wireless connection problems to the same modem and router, and without pertinent browsing problems.

I like windows XP and I hope I can be told of something to do or try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2018, 04:54 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Support for Windows XP ended in 2014.
The last version of IE for XP is IE8 which is no longer supported on most web sites.
The Browsers Firefox, Chrome and Opera no longer support XP Here is a list of browsers that may still work,https://alternativeto.net/list/52/up...for-windows-xp .
but you might be better off Running Ubuntu or some other version of Linux
Old 09-11-2018, 03:54 AM   #3
Elite Commander

My System

Send a message via MSN to VividProfessional

delete the icons for MSN and bing from the desktop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2018, 04:17 PM   #4
Registered Member

I appreciate much the information you gave me in your last reply.

I have IE6 in my presario laptop with windows XP home edition. If I try to upgrade to IE8 or run Yandex.Browser or any other browser or operating system, I guess I would be asked to enter my administrator password and I forgot it. Is there a way to retrieve my administrator password or to bypass this requirement?

I appreciate your patience. Thanks in advance for the work involved in a reply.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:20 PM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Due to TSF Rules, we cannot help you with password retrieval or circumvention.

Go to Start/Control Panel/User Accounts if you are logged in as an Admin user, not a Standard or Guest user, then you don't need to type in your password to download software. If it does require the Built in Administrators Password, try leaving it blank.

Since have IE6 you may need to go to another computer and download a different browser and save the install file to a USB Flash drive to install in XP. You can Update your browser thru Windows Update to IE8 but this won't help you much.

XP is only worth it if you don't go online. If you need to be online, then install Ubuntu.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:16 PM   #6
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragandres View Post
I appreciate much the information you gave me in your last reply.

I have IE6 in my presario laptop with windows XP home edition. If I try to upgrade to IE8 or run Yandex.Browser or any other browser or operating system, I guess I would be asked to enter my administrator password and I forgot it. Is there a way to retrieve my administrator password or to bypass this requirement?

I appreciate your patience. Thanks in advance for the work involved in a reply.
You don't need a password to install new operating system since you'll be booting from OS installation media. You can have XP-style desktop experience with Linux Mint xfce or Xubuntu.
I'm guessing you have less than 4GB ram, so the 32-bit versions of the Linux distros will work beautifully on that laptop. It's time to let go of XP and IE, especially on an online computer.
Closed Thread