Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Computer will not boot....bios is viewable...

This is a discussion on Computer will not boot....bios is viewable... within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Okay so I picked up an older computer from a thrift store. I decided to get it fired up. When

Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 09:26 PM   #1
Registered Member

OS: Windows 7, Windows Vista SP2, Windows XP, Windows 2000 SP4

Confused

Okay so I picked up an older computer from a thrift store. I decided to get it fired up. When I started it up I was greeted with a screen that show me some sort of memory error and a boot manager error. So I decided installing different operating systems to the computer but had no success. It would not get past Windows is loading files screen without either restarting or just freezing right there. Linux distributions would not work either. I am thinking it might be some sort of motherboard issue or a CPU issue or something like that I'm not sure.

What I'm pretty sure I figured out so far is that it is not a hard drive issue as I have ripped out the hard drive and still have experienced the same errors. I'm also not thinking that it is not something to do with the ram because I tested it. It seems to work.

I'm thinking there might be some sort of Hardware issue with the computer. But I'm not for sure.

The computer supposed to be running Windows XP but shows no signs of actually running it. I do see the BIOS screen but everything fails after that pretty much.

Advice anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2017, 02:17 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

What is the make and model# of the laptop?
Quote:
screen that show me some sort of memory error
A Memory Error would be RAM.
Depending on the brand, it probably has a Diagnostic section on the computer. Usually accessed by pressing F12
Old 07-06-2017, 09:07 AM   #3
Registered Member

So its a desktop actually. It says optiplex 745 on the top. That might distinguish it. It is a Dell computer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2017, 10:38 AM   #4
Networking Team |Tech

Hi there,

When you purchase the computer, was it FINAL SALE and no returns? Did the people at the Thrift store say the computer was working fine or buy as is?

Since the computer is a Dell computer, boot the computer to the integrated hardware component diagnostics test. I believe it's the F12 key or so. Do a comprehensive test on all of the computer components and see if the integrated hardware diagnostics provide you with any errors. If so, post the errors here.

Hope everything works out well for you.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:43 AM   #5
Registered Member

The computer was only 8 bucks so not a big loss. I cant seem to find the diagnostic menu.....all i see is a a set up menu and boot menu (which displays the sources to boot from) maybe im missing something ...
Old 07-06-2017, 11:44 AM   #6
Registered Member

They never said anything about the computer. Btw
Old 07-06-2017, 12:03 PM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

When booting the computer, press F12. You will have the choice of the Boot menu and Diagnostics.
How did you test the RAM? I would remove all but one module of RAM, on another computer, download the ISO image for Memtest and burn it to a CD with IMGBurn, both available in my signature, or download their Auto Installer for USB Key. Boot off of the newly created media and run the tests for at least 7 passes each on each Module separately. If you get any errors (red) that module is bad and needs to be replaced.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:06 PM   #8
Registered Member

Im thinking its the ram thats bad. I had linix mint and mem test was on it. Came up with a bunch of errors. So probably the RAM is faulty
Old 07-06-2017, 02:31 PM   #9
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
mem test was on it. Came up with a bunch of errors
Yes, errors mean a Bad RAM module. Now remove all but one and test again. If you get no errors, that module is good. if you get Errors, then module is bad and needs to be replaced. Switch them till all modules have been tested separately.
Old 07-06-2017, 02:57 PM   #10
Registered Member

I'll give it a go. I'll let you know how it works.
Old 07-06-2017, 02:58 PM   #11
Registered Member

So if i still get errors than could it be the ram stick that is most likely bad?
Old 07-06-2017, 04:55 PM   #12
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
Yes, errors mean a Bad RAM module
You will not get errors with known Good RAM Modules installed, unless they are the wrong supported speed or mismatched modules. Again, test with Memtest till there are no errors on all modules tested separately. If all RAM tests good but you can't install Windows, then test the HDD with it's diagnostics. And recreate your Windows Install Media, test that on another computer to make sure it is working.
Old 07-06-2017, 04:56 PM   #13
Registered Member

Okay. So how do i find out which ones are compatible and which ones are not?
Old 07-06-2017, 04:59 PM   #14
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Look to the Memory Section of the PDF Manual: https://www.dell.com/downloads/globa...5techspecs.pdf Make sure new RAM matches old RAM or get supported RAM according to Dell's Manual.
Old 07-06-2017, 06:27 PM   #15
Registered Member

Im thinking ill just redonate it. The ram could be fine and the motherboard or the place you insert the ram could be fried. I keep messing with the ram and no luck at all.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:05 PM   #16
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

If you put in the same speed and type RAM using good known modules, it should work. But if you don't want to invest in it, then better to Donate it.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:06 PM   #17
Registered Member

Yeah. I think i know computers good but this one is out of my leage. Thanks for the help though
Old 07-10-2017, 01:06 AM   #18
Registered Member

Have a look at this
A reference guide to the Dell OptiPlex Diagnostic Indicators | Dell US
Closed Thread