Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Computer will not boot

This is a discussion on Computer will not boot within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Over the last month, my computer will not boot when I switch it on. The Windows logo comes on initially

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2019, 06:52 AM   #1
Registered Member

Over the last month, my computer will not boot when I switch it on. The Windows logo comes on initially but then the screen goes blank with the cursor blinking in the upper left hand corner of the screen.

If I switch off then on, The windows logo comes on, I pound the F12 key then the boot menu comes up. I select the Normal Start option & the computer boots.

Any ideas why this is happening?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2019, 07:47 AM   #2
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64 10.0.19041.264; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

Continually pounding on many things in life will often eventually break them. Just saying ...

Microsoft.com > Recovery options in Windows 10
Old 09-13-2019, 02:29 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

What is the make and model# of your computer?
Boot into Setup (Bios) go to the Boot tab, Move the Hard Drive to First Boot Device. Save and Exit.
If you still have problems booting, start the computer and press F8 until you see the Advanced Boot menu. Select Safe Mode. If that works, go to Start/Run and type CMD. In the Command Prompt type chkdsk /R and press enter. Now type a Y for Yes and Reboot. The computer should start Check Disk at next bootup it may take a long time. If this hangs for several hours or fails, the HDD needs to be replaced.
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2019, 10:57 AM   #4
Troubled

Try to reboot from the bios...
Closed Thread