Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Computer turns itself off!

This is a discussion on Computer turns itself off! within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hiya, I don't know if this is the right place to post, I have searched google for ages trying to

Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 02:31 AM   #1

Mistake

Hiya, I don't know if this is the right place to post, I have searched google for ages trying to find answers to my problem but I need people to read my problem as it's different from most situations I've read through searching.

Right, about a month ago, my uncle inserted an old hardrive. It worked perfectly however passed on viruses to my normal hardrive. I got rid of them, but I had problems reaching the end of a full virus scan, and it would usually turn the computer off - so I never knew if there were anymore viruses nearing the end of the scan (it does not shut down, or restart, just stops, fans turn off etc).

So I thought the old hardrive was to blame and removed it, however the same problem carried on occuring. I can't run disk clean-up without the computer turning itself off and virus scans have'nt been done in ages. I don't know if the hardrive was to blame. But I found something on the internet saying about CPU, and downloaded a programme to find the temperature... it says warning: 70c and sometimes 78c... could this be the problem and how to I reduce this?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2006, 03:57 AM   #2

Fine. Can someone atleast tell me how to cool a computer down!?!?!
Old 07-07-2006, 03:57 AM   #3

WOW! it is a high temp man.

Anyway, what is ur pc cpec first? eg processor etc...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2006, 04:24 AM   #4

How do I find all that out?

I've also found with my wicked little CPU temp programme thing that when I run disk cleanup etc the temperature rapidly increases, when it gets to 99c (yes, 99!) the computer turns off... what is it!
Old 07-07-2006, 06:56 AM   #5
Mentally divergent

gangster -
If we could all meet at your house we'd probly have this fixed in about 20 minutes. We can't, so you'll have to do a few things for us.

PHYSICAL INSPECTION - Can you please go back into the PC and draw yourself a map of where you can find fans? There should be one or two inside the power supply (PSU). However many there are, they should be moving air out of the case, not blowing it in. One setting on top of the central processor (CPU). One below the PSU blowing air out the back of the case, and perhaps one blowing air into the case from the front of the PC, under the CD/DVD drives and HDD's. Unless you've added heat-producing components such as a powerful video card, it doesn't matter so much whether you find a fan in all those places. What matters is that every fan that came with your PC when it was new is still working.
Are all of them spinning? Any of them clogged with dust? Is the one on the back of the case blowing air out? (as opposed to blowing air into the PC - out good, in bad)
With the PC running and the side off, do you find any spots that are uncomfortably hot to the touch? Underside of your HDD, the North or South chipsets on your motherboard, etc.?

DIGITAL INSPECTION - You say you found a diagnostic program on your PC, one that reports temps while you're up and running, rather than in BIOS? O.K., that's good.

Do the other temps look O.K. or is the thing hot all over? Motherboard and case temps won't be as hot as the CPU. But they shouldn't be way above room temp. If your room temp is 22 degrees C we don't want case or motherboard temps in the 50's.

If you haven't found a smoking gun yet, open the case, turn on the PC, bring up your temp diagnostic utility and aim a portable room fan right into the PC. Turn it on to "mid" or "high" setting. Watch those temps and tell us what happens. If they come way down play with it for a bit and see if it crashes.

I'm hoping for a simple fix. The simplest would be finding massive dust bunnies clogging your CPU heatsink fan. Replacing a dead CPU fan would be the next simplest. Maybe all you need to do is replace the thermal paste on top of the CPU. A little scary the first time, but there are onlline guides with pictures to help.

Good luck!
Old 07-07-2006, 08:25 AM   #6

Thanks, I will give it all a try and will let you know.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:43 AM   #7
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

https://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_s...structions.htm

Old 07-08-2006, 10:54 AM   #8

Check your case/heatsink fans
Clear your case of dust
Reapply the thermal paste
Old 07-12-2006, 06:58 AM   #9

Hi all,
sorry it's been so long!

I have found out that my system fan has "failed", the strange thing is... it's still spinning but BIOS detects it at 0 rpm (whatever it is) and I have guessed that the computer "heats up" because of the "0 rpm" causing the computer to make "alarm sound" and to turn off.

What do I do?

Thanks.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:58 AM   #10
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

see what reading you receive from speedfan
https://www.almico.com/speedfan.php
if the fan is spinning below the threshold it will register as zero,which could be a faulty fan or faulty sensor
if you try another fan and it is the same then it is the m/b

Old 07-14-2006, 01:05 AM   #11

I'm guessing this is bad...

FAN1: 5114 RPM (and below.)
FAN2: 0 RPM
FAN3: 0 RPM

Temperature 1 states -55c
Temp 2 states -2c..
Temp 3 60c - 70c mainly.

HD0: 35c
HD1: 0c

I don't know if you can tell me what I should do? do you need any more details on it? my CPU usage seems high at times too, usually when the 'cpu' is starting to heat up.
Thanks, jas
Old 07-14-2006, 05:38 AM   #12
Registered Member

I am no expert at the temperature thing but my pc would shut down and the green light would just stay on. The solution is to to spray it with CO2 for me. The dust was causing my computer to overheat because i havent dusted it in 2 years. It might work for you if you have this type of issue.
Old 07-14-2006, 05:47 AM   #13

Is'nt that dangerous for the computer?
Old 07-14-2006, 05:51 AM   #14

generally, people use canned air for blowing out a case.
follow Dai's instructions with the utility.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:06 AM   #15

Don't go to a shop and ask for a can of air.. they will laugh at you.

I know this may sound stupid but it could be something as simple as a wire pushing on a fan causing it to stop spinning. Also check ventilation. If you have got a load of wires blocking the airflow in your case then your fans will just be sucking in hot air. Try installing an intake fan at the front and an exhaust fan at the rear. I'd recommend 120mm to keep sound down.
Old 07-14-2006, 07:50 AM   #16
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

blow the dust out
redo the paste on the cpu h/sink with some artic silver
https://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_s...structions.htm
if you don't have front and back fans they are cheap to buy and easy to install as suggested above
the h/drive temps ok so would think dust and paste would bring them down

Old 07-18-2006, 02:59 AM   #17

Ok I'll give all a try and if nothing is resolved then I will buy a "intake fan"/"front or back fan", what do you recommend?

Thanks for your support.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:18 AM   #18

I tried to resolve it by using some of the tips you recommended, it's still not working... is it in anyway linked to 'CPU usage' because my 'CPU usage' shoots up to a 100% (whilst the Temperature goes up & up) when running certain programmes like Disk cleanup. It just seems the 'CPU usage' reaches 100% causes the temp to rise? I find this out from using Sensorview.
Also, if i do have to resort to getting a new fan what do you recommend and can I install it myself? if so, how?

Thanks
Closed Thread