Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Computer suddenly slow overnight

8K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  spleendor 
#1 · (Edited)
Last night after shutting off my computer for a few hours while I was out of the house, I came back only to find that it suddenly ran at least half the speed it used to.

The bootup and shutdown time have increased from about 15 seconds to 10 minutes, all the programs take a similar amount of time to launch, the Add/Remove Programs menu is near inaccessible, and the taskbar frequently freezes up for 20 second periods.

It's odd because my computer ran 100% smoothly two days ago, and randomly began these problems after that startup yesterday.

Here are my system specs if that'll help at all:
- Asus P5Q chipset
- Radeon HD 4870
- Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (3.0 ghz standard clock)
- 750W PSU
- 4 GB RAM
- don't worry about cooling, I've got that covered

I tried Googling for an answer, but this problem seems to be undiagnosable so far. Or maybe I'm just not that good at Google.
I also tried chkdsk /r (maybe that's the wrong one?), but that turned up no results.

I've ruled out possible hard drive or mechanical errors, since I built this system in January, but I will check the insides as a last resort. (I'm lazy)

Tried virus scans, turned up nothing.

I haven't installed any new programs recently, or downloaded any new files.

Same number of Processes under Task Manager as always. CPU Usage averages 1-2%.

The cause of this problem eludes me completely. I am stumped.

See less See more
#3 ·
Checked the BIOS. Temps are at roughly 30C (normal) and the voltages are 1.2V for CPU, 3.3 for 3.3V rail, 5 for 5, and 12 for 12. Should be fine?

Problem seems to be getting worse. Booting up this morning took around 15 minutes and the taskbar decided to stop workin completely. I'm reformatting a faulty second disk drive which I have plugged in, just to see if that'll help anything (I doubt it will though, since it's running its own OS).

#6 ·
Well, I tried unplugging that faulty hard drive I mentioned earlier before trying Memtest and system restore.

It seems to have solved the problem mostly (although I'm not sure how). Just a few spots of slowness and occasional glitching up on startup.

I'm going to run a diskcheck just in case and see how that turns out.

I'll tag this as solved shortly afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.