Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

computer stuck in contiguos restart loop after update.

This is a discussion on computer stuck in contiguos restart loop after update. within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. i was in the middle of installing the sp3 update and the compuiter shutoff and restarted and now will not

Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 09:27 AM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

My System

i was in the middle of installing the sp3 update and the compuiter shutoff and restarted and now will not load into windows at all i just see the loading screen for a sec and it restarts again. safe mode is the same just restarts. is there anythign i can do becides reinsatlling xp again?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2008, 10:27 AM   #2

If you do a reinstall, try repairing (boot from XP CD, choose repair, then automatic repair). Don't try it if you have a large hard disk ( >128GB) AND your have an XP CD doesn't have SP1 or SP2 on it.
Two things you can try, but I doubt they'll yield much. Boot into XP CD (again has to be SP1 or later if your hard disk is >128GB), click repair, and get into recovery console. log into your xp installation, then run
chkdsk c: /p
then type exit and press enter. If the continuous boots aren't gone then i guess there's no option but to do repair-install. (or perhaps wait some - maybe another member of the forum has other suggestions)

P.S: You can run into other problems if you have a SATA hard disk (like no hard disk detected) - if that's the case, press F6 at startup and insert a floppy with the SATA drivers.
Old 08-31-2008, 04:35 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

My System

ok. i been trying to work on it for a bit now and cannot get it to run into windows at all. whatever happened to it form the sp3 update is also blocking it from getting to the windows xp setup it just never finished loading to try to use the repair feture let alone the reinstall feature.i tink it may have killed the pc. my next step here is i think i have to put the hdd into anotherpc so i can format it and then put it back into this pc to reinstall windows xp again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2008, 05:08 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via AIM to Dracia Send a message via MSN to Dracia

I have another idea. Firstly, if you need anything from your current HDD, slave it into another computer to retrieve the data.

Next, download DBAN, which is a disk wiping utility. It wipes absolutely everything from your HDD :)

You'll need to download the one for CD and DVD media, then use something like Poweriso or Nero to burn it to a CD or DVD, then boot from it.

I think if you fully wipe it, you'll be able to get into Windows Setup.

Edit: Sorry, forgot the link! https://www.dban.org/download
Old 08-31-2008, 11:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracia View Post
I have another idea. Firstly, if you need anything from your current HDD, slave it into another computer to retrieve the data.
Agreed. When you connect it to the other PC, remember to copy and save all your data before you reformat anything!

Quote:
Next, download DBAN, which is a disk wiping utility. It wipes absolutely everything from your HDD :)
*snip*
I think dban's a bit extreme for this particular situation, but I guess it'll do pretty much the same as a reformat.
Just to be sure - make sure the ONLY hard drive connected is the drive you want wiped so you don't accidentally wipe the wrong one. Also if you want to save (a lot of) time on dban, do a simple wipe (it's under the 'type' setting in the menu), and turn verification off.
Old 08-31-2008, 11:43 AM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via AIM to Dracia Send a message via MSN to Dracia

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah789 View Post
I think dban's a bit extreme for this particular situation, but I guess it'll do pretty much the same as a reformat.
I think DBAN is different. Reformatting makes it so your drive is NTFS (in the case of Windows XP), whereas DBAN just makes it completely empty, no file system or anything, like a new HDD.

Probably is a bit extreme but I think it'd do the trick
Old 08-31-2008, 07:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah789 View Post
Quote:
I think DBAN is different. Reformatting makes it so your drive is NTFS (in the case of Windows XP), whereas DBAN just makes it completely empty, no file system or anything, like a new HDD.
Probably is a bit extreme but I think it'd do the trick
I guess I should have said "but I guess it'll do pretty much the same as what a reformat would do for this situation."
I am aware DBaN does more - by wiping everything on the disk, it wipes out all file systems (what format creates), all partitions, and the partition table.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:27 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtokesalot View Post
whatever happened to it form the sp3 update is also blocking it from getting to the windows xp setup it just never finished loading to try to use the repair feture let alone the reinstall feature.
Are you saying that when you take your XP CD (not a manufacture's restore disk) and set it to boot first in the BIOS, you can't get to to Welcome To Setup screen at all? Or just that the first option doesn't work?

This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

What happens when you try to go into the Recovery Console? Also do you have an AMD machine?
Old 09-02-2008, 07:12 AM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by cetkat View Post
Are you saying that when you take your XP CD (not a manufacture's restore disk) and set it to boot first in the BIOS, you can't get to to Welcome To Setup screen at all? Or just that the first option doesn't work?

This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

What happens when you try to go into the Recovery Console? Also do you have an AMD machine?
what i mean is that when i put the windows xp cd in yes not he recovery but the win xp cd it boots from the cd and starts the setup screen the blue screen where it loads the setup prsedure. then it gets stuck at loading the setup and just stays a blue screen. if i dont put the cd in and try to let windows load u only see the loading screen for like a half a second then it restarts. i havent done anything to it yet cause its only the backup pc and i still have my nice new compaq that im runnin so its not realy a priority but i would like to get it goin again. its an old scool hp pavilion with an intell celleron prossesor. and i know u think it wouldent run xp that well but it was doing it very good for a pc of its age.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:43 PM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

My System

well i called microsoft and got free tech help cause the issues was caused by sp3 and thay talked me throgh deleting the sp3 from dos and waddya know shes workin again just like befor. so i guess this means problem solved. thanks for your help.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:30 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtokesalot View Post
well i called microsoft and got free tech help cause the issues was caused by sp3 and thay talked me throgh deleting the sp3 from dos and waddya know shes workin again just like befor. so i guess this means problem solved. thanks for your help.
I called microsoft about this same problem and told me I needed call gateway. I was told by gateway that I needed to start from scratch and loose allmy info. Can someone tell me how to delete sp3 in DOS. Maybe that will work.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:21 PM   #12
Registered Member

Go here : https://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249/en-us

If you have your XP CD (you can borrow one), you'll want to do it through the Recovery Console (Method 4). If you don't, look at Method 4: #5-6. I can't verify that those commands will work in DOS, but it sounds like they would.
Closed Thread