Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Computer restarting everytime i boot

This is a discussion on Computer restarting everytime i boot within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. i'm posting this on my laptop but need my computer for storage. It's a dell When I turn on it

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 02:38 PM   #1
Registered Member

i'm posting this on my laptop but need my computer for storage. It's a dell

When I turn on it gets to the windows didnt shut down properly where you get the options start with last known good setting, run in safe mode, start normally etc when i chose an option it just restarts and does this everytime no matter what option. Anyone know why this is happening I took the back off the fan is working etc and the battery attached to the computer seems fine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2012, 02:46 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

When you turn on the laptop, continuously tap F8 until you get the Advanced Boot Menu screen. From here choose "Disable automatic restart on system failure". Then when you restart, you should get a blue screen. What exactly does it say on the blue screen?
Old 04-02-2012, 03:07 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

Quote:
need my computer for storage. It's a dell
Boot off of the Windows Disc Or download the Recovery Console ISO. Burn it to CD with IMGBurn Boot off of the CD and get to the Recovery Console. Here type chkdsk /R and press enter. The Check Disk utility will try and fix any file errors.
You can also download the ISO image for Seatools or Drive Fitness in my signature and burn the image to a CD using IMGBurn also in my signature and boot off of the newly created CD and run the Quick and Advanced tests on the HDD to test the integrity of the drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2012, 04:58 PM   #4
Registered Member

The error code i got when i did F8 and got to blue screen was 0x82FAC900, 0xc0000040, 0x00000000,0x00000000

it just restarts when i try to start in safe mode etc
Old 04-02-2012, 08:17 PM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

Follow the steps in post #3
Closed Thread