Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Computer regularly freezing up

This is a discussion on Computer regularly freezing up within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I was hoping you guys could help me out. I am working on an employee's laptop that freezes up roughly

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 08:44 AM   #1
Registered Member

I was hoping you guys could help me out. I am working on an employee's laptop that freezes up roughly every half hour or so. I ran a scan with Malwarebytes and found nothing, ran a registry cleaner, disc cleanup, and defragged the computer. Still it freezes up.

It will always freeze up during a defrag and has gotten hung up when nothing is running while I cleaned out the temp folder. Does anybody have any ideas as to what it could be? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2010, 08:54 AM   #2

Did you try a good 'ol fashioned virus scan?
Old 02-10-2010, 08:58 AM   #3
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Visitng Expert

Hello PG Croat

Have you checked for overheating?
https://www.stvsoft.com/index.php?opt...d=17&Itemid=33

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2010, 09:22 AM   #4
Registered Member

Fendaril - Malwarebytes is a virus scanner

Dunedin - I'll definitely give that a try once I get my hands on the laptop again. I was suspecting it may be hardware failure, possibly some bad RAM.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:49 AM   #5
Registered Member

Ok, it froze up on me at 49C/121F

According to the SensorsView Pro:

CPU Clock: 542MHz
CPU Usage: 0%
Memory Usage: 40%

But that only what it is showing once the entire computer freezes up. Odd thing is, right after I force a reboot it will run for another half hour. If it was heat build up it would crash shortly after it boots up again as the heat would still remain the same.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:10 AM   #6
Registered Member

I booted the computer up in safe mode and right now its looking alright. It hasn't frozen up yet but I'm going to let it run for a bit and see. If it doesn't crash I think that might be a sign that its software and not hardware.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:11 PM   #7
Registered Member

It runs just fine in safe mode, so I'm assuming it is software related. Anybody have any tips on how to pinpoint the problematic piece of software?
Old 02-10-2010, 02:51 PM   #8
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Visitng Expert

Have a look in Event Viewer
https://support.microsoft.com/kb/308427

Maybe in System?

Old 02-10-2010, 04:09 PM   #9
Registered Member

There are quite a few errors that state:

The SQL Server (MSSMLBIZ) service terminated with service-specific error 3417 (0xD59)

I'd also like to add that I tried to restore it to a point before all this happened but the computer won't do it. It'll run System Restore and reboot but once you log back in it'll say that the System restoration could not be completed. I have tried several restore points both in regular mode and in safe mode and I get the same outcome.

According to the employee it was working fine on Jan 29th but he left the computer on all weekend and when he got back the computer was frozen on the screensaver and has been freezing up every half hour ever since. After I heard that I was really hoping a system restore was going to do the trick.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:49 AM   #10
Registered Member

Ok, I made note of the exact time the computer froze and then checked the event viewer to see what it was reporting. There was nothing reported for about 35 minutes prior to the freeze up and everything after that time was simply regarding network login. There were no errors.
Closed Thread