Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Computer Randomly Reboots

This is a discussion on Computer Randomly Reboots within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My system spec are listed. This is the FX computer ... it keeps rebooting at random ... any ideas what

Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 02:48 PM   #1
Registered Member

My System

Thumbs Down

My system spec are listed. This is the FX computer ... it keeps rebooting at random ... any ideas what the problem is?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2016, 03:57 PM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Inside the BIOS what are the 12V, 3.3V, 5V, and VCORE voltages?
Old 08-10-2016, 05:11 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

According to your Specs, you are running Windows 7, but you posted in the Windows XP section of the Forum?
Maybe Chief will kindly move this thread to the Windows 7 section.
To also add to what Chief is saying, if a computer reboots on it's own, it is either overheating or it has a failing PSU.
Shut down the computer and take the side off. Clean out all dust and blow out fans with a can of compressed air. Start the computer and make sure all fans are spinning. Boot into Setup (Bios) go to PC Health. Look at the Temperatures and check the Voltages as Chief said.
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2016, 06:16 PM   #4
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
According to your Specs, you are running Windows 7, but you posted in the Windows XP section of the Forum?
Maybe Chief will kindly move this thread to the Windows 7 section.
To also add to what Chief is saying, if a computer reboots on it's own, it is either overheating or it has a failing PSU.
Shut down the computer and take the side off. Clean out all dust and blow out fans with a can of compressed air. Start the computer and make sure all fans are spinning. Boot into Setup (Bios) go to PC Health. Look at the Temperatures and check the Voltages as Chief said.
You are looking at rig1 with win7... look for rig 2 that is the XP rig right next to it and you will see the specs. The PSU was replace with a new on a week ago. I will check out the bios and report back. Thanks.
Old 08-11-2016, 03:58 AM   #5
Troubled

Please don't post on multiple support forums without saying you are doing that. It is unfair to volunteer helpers to be answering you multiple times on different forums.
Do what you have been advised to do already, check the setting via Windows Safe Mode to DISABLE restarts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spirittoo View Post
You are looking at rig1 with win7... look for rig 2 that is the XP rig right next to it and you will see the specs. The PSU was replace with a new on a week ago. I will check out the bios and report back. Thanks.
Old 08-11-2016, 08:29 AM   #6
Registered Member

My System

Pin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyAtlanta View Post
Please don't post on multiple support forums without saying you are doing that. It is unfair to volunteer helpers to be answering you multiple times on different forums.
Do what you have been advised to do already, check the setting via Windows Safe Mode to DISABLE restarts.
I am posting on multiple support forums. Okay.Is there some kind of rule that say I can't?
Old 08-11-2016, 08:49 AM   #7
- Microsoft Support
BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst

My System

Many fora do have specific rules against this, as I'm pretty sure, given our history, you already know.

It's a matter of courtesy, if you must post across multiple fora, please say so and link to the other topics.

Cross posting is considered discourteous. Please read this.
Excelguru Help Site - A message to forum cross posters
Old 08-11-2016, 09:07 AM   #8
Registered Member

My System

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterchiefxx17 View Post
Inside the BIOS what are the 12V, 3.3V, 5V, and VCORE voltages?
VCore = 1.39
DDR3 1.5v = 1.512V
+12V = 12.024V
+3.3V = 3.461V
Current System Temp = 45C
Current CPU Temp = 68C
There is nothing in the BIOS 5V.
The case is open.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:12 AM   #9
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrow View Post
Many fora do have specific rules against this, as I'm pretty sure, given our history, you already know.

It's a matter of courtesy, if you must post across multiple fora, please say so and link to the other topics.

Cross posting is considered discourteous. Please read this.
Excelguru Help Site - A message to forum cross posters
I'm not trying to be discourteous, I am trying to get as much information on the situation as I can in order to solve the problem .. when I do get a solution I always post that solution on each forum to help others with the same problem. If you check my history you will see that is the case. I have done this for years and this is the first time someone has had a problem with it.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:34 AM   #10
- Microsoft Support
BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst

My System

Quote:
this is the first time someone has had a problem with it.
No, it isn't.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:01 AM   #11
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
No, it isn't.
I'm not a liar as you suggest. You won't find anything to indicate I am.
Now someone on another forum thinks it may be a ram problem so I am going to run a test ... I will get back with the results.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:03 AM   #12
- Microsoft Support
BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst

My System

Which other forum, link, please?
Old 08-11-2016, 12:25 PM   #13
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Your posted voltages are all good as they are within the margin of error of +.5 or -.5 of the other (ie) +3.3V = 3.461V. If any voltage would be more or less the .5 degrees, then the PSU would be at fault. Your temperatures are also good an within the margins.
If you are running Memory (RAM) test like Memtest, be sure to remove all but one stick of RAM and run the tests on each stick of RAM separately. If you get any errors in the lower pane (Red) that stick is bad and needs to be replaced.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:05 AM   #14
Registered Member

My System

Arrow

Quote:
Which other forum, link, please?
https://forums.techguy.org/threads/c...boots.1176073/

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
Your posted voltages are all good as they are within the margin of error of +.5 or -.5 of the other (ie) +3.3V = 3.461V. If any voltage would be more or less the .5 degrees, then the PSU would be at fault. Your temperatures are also good an within the margins.
If you are running Memory (RAM) test like Memtest, be sure to remove all but one stick of RAM and run the tests on each stick of RAM separately. If you get any errors in the lower pane (Red) that stick is bad and needs to be replaced.
Okay ... I did the test with both sticks and it tested good. I will do the test with each stick and get back with the results. I have a feeling this is something simple, but I can put my finger on it now. Thanks for reading my post.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:54 AM   #15
- Microsoft Support
BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst

My System

Thanks, so you've also recently replaced the GPU, with the listed Zotac 550Ti? How long before you replaced the PSU?
Old 08-12-2016, 11:02 AM   #16
Registered Member

My System

Arrow

Quote:
Thanks, so you've also recently replaced the GPU, with the listed Zotac 550Ti? How long before you replaced the PSU?
I got the PSU a couple of weeks ago. But you know what? I'm wondering if Java could be the problem. I had to enable it to find out the latest version of the GPU, and now that I think about it ... that's when the rebooting problem started after Java was enable. It's disable now and so far ...no random rebooting.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:58 AM   #17
Registered Member

My System

Arrow

Wellsir ... It looks like so far ... that Java is the problem. I disabled it and when out for a while ...when I got back the computer was still running. I had a feeling it was something simple. I'm going to cautiously mark this as problem solved. Thanks to all of you that help out. I really appreciate it.
Old 08-12-2016, 12:27 PM   #18
Moderator, Editor, Articles Team

My System

Quote:
Wellsir ... It looks like so far ... that Java is the problem. I disabled it and when out for a while ...when I got back the computer was still running. I had a feeling it was something simple.
Sounds feasible. Some would say we could and should do without java but, I know what you mean, some sites have scanners which can detect what hardware you're running. Crucial is a perfect example and yeah, you can keep it installed and disabled, only enabling as needed but thats a pita. There has been much speculation but I doubt it will ever be replaced completely.

Submit New Articles Here

Help us to help you by posting your System Specs
Closed Thread