Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Computer Randomly Freezes about 5-10 times every day.

This is a discussion on Computer Randomly Freezes about 5-10 times every day. within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Well, here's the story. I purchased this computer last December from CyberPowerPC. It came with Windows Vista but I didn't

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 04:23 PM   #1

Well, here's the story. I purchased this computer last December from CyberPowerPC. It came with Windows Vista but I didn't order that. So I wiped that off and installed Windows XP Pro on it and updated it to SP2.
Now I don't know if it's XP or what but my computer has been freezing every day about 5-10 times a day. What happens is that the screen would all of a sudden show random colorful lines causing me to hard boot the computer. The thing that annoys me is that any work I have been working on is lost. I haven't really done anything about it because the bootup time was about 30-40 seconds. But now I'm fed up.

I emailed the company, but haven't got a response yet (sent Saturday)

So far I have tried :
cleaning inside the computer
lowering Hardware Acceleration
Lowering Sound Acceleration in DXDIAG

I really don't know what else to do.

Here are the specs.
AMD Athlon 64 x2 Duel Core Processor 4600+
geForce 8400 GS
1 Gig Ram
500W PSU
Windows XP Pro SP2

Any help is welcomed as well as comments/suggestions or anything else. If you need any more information or anything, please ask. Thank you for reading and hope to hear some helpful responses soon!

~eNoroX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2008, 04:27 PM   #2

If you purchased the computer with Vista then they probably will not do anything because of taking Vista off the computer might have voided the warranty.

When you installed windows xp did you install the special drivers for the motherboard and windows xp like the chipset drivers, buss, network, audio, video and the others?
Old 03-24-2008, 04:35 PM   #3

Hmm, knowing I've reformatted my computers many of times before, I think I did install all that. I guess I can go back and try updating the drivers? Would you suggest doing this from the web or from the CDs they sent me? I know my video card is up to date, but what I'm not sure of is my BIOs, Motherboard and CPU.
Closed Thread