Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Computer powers off on boot

This is a discussion on Computer powers off on boot within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, whenever I turn my computer on it powers off a few seconds or so after turning it on. I

Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 12:46 PM   #1

Hi, whenever I turn my computer on it powers off a few seconds or so after turning it on. I had a similiar problem not long ago (a few months maybe) where I took it to a PC repair store who replaced the motherboard and wiped the hard drive. I would do this again but the problem was it cost me almost 90 so I'd like to know if I can fix this myself first. It's an Asus motherboard and has a pentium 4 processor which im pretty sure is 2.8ghz I can't say for sure what the hardware is because I can't get as far as the device manager. If I clear the BIOS it will get further to the XP loading screen before powering off though. Another thing that might be relevant was that before I took the computer to the shop for the first time I had an ATI graphics card but now I have an Asus one in there, I tried removing this and starting the computer with monitor plugged into the inbuilt monitor socket on the motherboard but the same problem happened. There's no bulging or leaking capacitors on the motherboard and because it's only a few months old max I don't think that's where the problem lies but I couldn't say for sure. Also the computer sometimes used to completely freeze where the sound cuts out and you can't move the mouse at all and the only way to come out of it was to power off and on again. One more thing is that I have the hard drive plugged in as a slave drive in another computer so I can access the files on it and it doesn't seem to have any problems.

If anyone could shed some light on this before I end up going to the repair shop again I'd be verp appreciative, thanks :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2008, 10:54 PM   #2
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

what
video card
cpu
m/board
power supply
brand
wattage
are you running
any error message
check your tempretures and voltages in the bios and post them
redo the paste on the cpu with some arctic silver
https://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_s...structions.htm

Old 06-08-2008, 02:38 PM   #3

It's an Asus motherboard and video card, and a pentium 4 proccessor (2.8 i think) and the power supply says 280w I can't get as far as the BIOS sometimes I get in after clearing it or leaving the computer unplugged for a while but it powers off before I get chance to read anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2008, 03:31 PM   #4
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

need to know what model the graphics card and m/b is but 280w is underpowered for 99% of computers running to-day

Old 06-09-2008, 04:15 AM   #5

I found that the CPU was reaching temperatures of about 100 degrees then powering off so i replaced the fan with one from my older pc and now it works at about 40-50 but when I try to start windows I get the error message that ntfs.sys is corrupt even if I replace it with the XP cd using recovery console. I formatted the hard drive and reinstalled windows but it's still giving me this error message
Old 06-09-2008, 11:56 AM   #6
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

ntfd is the file system
run
chkdsk /r
when you changed the fan did you do the paste

Old 06-11-2008, 06:32 AM   #7

ive done chkdsk and it found errors that it cant fix, i dont remember the actual messsage off the top of my head. I didnt change the paste but there was quite a bit. I kept the same heat sink (the metal part if thats the right term anyway) just changed the actual fan to one of the same processor in another comp that is a bit noisier but seems to keep the cpu about 30 degrees cooler. I've completely reinstalled windows twice over with a long format that took about an hour but it still gives the same error everytime.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:51 AM   #8

I've done chkdsk /r it said it's fixed one error but ntfs.sys is still corrupt apparently so it's not booting. I might have to take this into the shop
Old 06-11-2008, 11:19 AM   #9
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

whenever you disturb the heatsink you have to clean off and renew the paste
https://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_s...structions.htm
download the hard drive makers diognostic utilty and run it on the hard drive

Closed Thread