Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Computer infected by a very odd virus

This is a discussion on Computer infected by a very odd virus within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi again. I happened to run windows without firewall or antivirus software. I knew that that windows would be doomed

Closed Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 05:37 PM   #1

Hi again.

I happened to run windows without firewall or antivirus software. I knew that that windows would be doomed soon but I was going to install a new one after a while. When I finally installed new Windows I got this same problem with the new one that I had with the old one. I think explorer.exe crashes when I start the OS and then starts up again. Also bug reporting software (some Dr Watson software) crashes. When I try to use internet to find answers for my question I have to click one link about 100 times to get it loading the site. I fear that my bootsector or BIOS is infected. Should I try to run Hijack on my Windows?

I just need right now something to start with. Maybe a software which would show me the problem or a new way to format hard drive so the boot sector would reset too.

Im getting fed up with this comp right now. Two problems in one week. Also I just bought new 720gb WD hard drive, so Im not going to buy a new one just to get it working (saying this because some people do use this method to get hardware working).

Thanks to everyone who bothers to help :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2008, 05:41 PM   #2

You may or may not be infected with something... Really can't tell. It could also be failing hardware (memory for example) or overheating or underpowered power supply (maybe that new drive is sucking out all the voltage needed to run everything else stable?)
Anyhow, after you get a clean install of Windows, the first thing to do is always to grab the latest service packs and updates via Windows update. That protects you from known vulnerabilities and security holes (the ones that hit you while you're surfing the net without you doing anything).
You should at least turn that XP firewall back on, and enable DEP (data execution prevention).
Old 11-28-2008, 05:44 PM   #3

Buying a new hard drive to solve a malware problem is like amputating a leg in order to fix a hangnail. You are right, there be some DUMB BUNNIES out there.

When you installed your "new" Windows, did you format the drive and do a New Install, or did you do some kind of "in place upgrade" / "Repair Install".

Also, consider the possiblity that the source of your malware may in fact be from an infected file (movie, song, whatever) or application (perhaps downloaded or copied from "somewhere").

By not running an Anti-Virus software, you wouldn't know where the infection is coming from, if in fact there is one at all.

Install AVG. It's good, free and fast. Make note of whatever files it may find infected, and that will help to identify the source of a possible infection. I wouldn't worry too much about boot sector or BIOS viruses. 99% of the lip-smacking that goes on about those things is just empty yapping by people that haven't a clue. More likely, your possible infection is a much more common (and easier solved) source. Worry about the easy stuff first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2008, 03:42 PM   #4

Red Faced

I was a bit stupid. I used a memorystick with the infected windows and then installed new one and copied some drivers from that memstick and thats where the virus got to the new install. I got it solved out pretty easily finally.

My bad
Closed Thread