Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Computer freezing (Been doing it for a long time...)

This is a discussion on Computer freezing (Been doing it for a long time...) within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, I am running windows XP although i do not think that this is relevant because of the times at

Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 03:53 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello,

I am running windows XP although i do not think that this is relevant because of the times at which my computer freezes.

It has been freezing for a few years (2/3 years.. not constant though) the first time it was freezing i used a electric pump to blow all the dust out of all the machine and it successfully worked so that it didnt freeze anymore.. although now its freezing again (and has been for a few months)..

I will be getting rid of the dust again tomorrow and i am hoping that this works although im not certain that this is the problem as I cleaned out the dust about 5 or 6 months ago...

The only spare parts i have got is a Hard Drive, does anyone think that replacing the hard drive will fix the problem?

---i cant test all this stuff until tomorrow so i am asking here so that i know whyat i need to test tomoz.

-thanks for support
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2010, 05:10 PM   #2
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Microsoft Support

Why would you replace the hard drive, is it defective? Are you getting a blue screen crash, is the computer just locking up?
Old 12-02-2010, 07:15 AM   #3
Registered Member

It is just freezing up, no blue screen or anything... but the only reason i say hard drive (even though its a long shot...) is because its the only spare part ive got...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2010, 10:05 AM   #4
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Microsoft Support

It doesn't make any sense to just guess and start replacing parts that you aren't sure are bad. I'd start with running check disk. Open a command prompt: Click Start>>Run and type CMD in the box & hit enter. type CHKDSK /R at the prompt and hit enter. A message will display asking if you want to run check disk next time your computer restarts - type Y and restart the computer.

If you think you've had a problem with dust build up before, you could try cleaning inside the case and then reseat your memory. I would use compressed air made for cleaning electronics.

To remove and reseat your RAM, power off the computer and leave it plugged in. Touch a bare metal part of the case to discharge any static build up. Remove each stick and replace it, making sure you hear the locking tabs click. Handle the RAM at the top corners making sure you don't touch the memory chips on the side.

There are a few other easy tests you can check as well. Go into BIOS and write down your voltage readings then post them here. If you can burn an ISO image file to CD, download a copy of Memtest86+ and boot to the disc to run a memory test.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:17 AM   #5
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

what are you running
video card
cpu
m/board
ram
power supply
brand
model
wattage